• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Buster

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
As many of you are aware on this website my wife and I have had the honour and privilege of sharing our lives with a Westie by the name of Buster, for the last 16 and a half years.
He has been a constant pleasure and devoted member of our family.
Unfortunately old age caught up with him and he became deaf and his eyesight was none too clever. He found it increasingly difficult to get around ( don't we all )and just just before Christmas he began to have little "accidents" and we could tell that it was worrying him, more than it worried us.
We made sure that Christmas was as quiet as we could make it , as he began to panic if faced with too many people. Christmas day he began to tremble uncontrolably and spent most of the day being nursed by either myself of Hilary.
Boxing day he began to have breathing problems and we knew the end was near.
Next day we took him to the Vets, who did a full examination and came to the conclusion that time had, in fact, caught up with him.
We then had to make the most difficult decision in our whole lives.
Deep down we knew there was only one answer and we tried to "find" excuses why we should put it off. Eventually we agreed that we were prolonging the agony for "our sake" and not being fair to Buster.
We agreed it was "time" and he was peacefully put to sleep.
It was hard for me but it was twice as hard for my wife as he was her very first pet.
I can't get my head around it and its taken me this long to put my feelings into words.
To all you people out there with pets, please love them as much as they love you.

Last edited:
Postied I am so sorry to hear Buster has passed away. There are many of us here who share your feelings at this very sad time. It's such a wrench to loose a loving member of your family. Westies are such fun dogs with great charicter, our friends had one for many years who we all miss terribly. I do hope your wife soon feels better, its so hard..........Just think of the fun and enjoyment Buster gave you both. My very best wishes to you both. Wendy

Thanks for telling us Postie a sadness shared is a sadness halved, :heart:

Postied

I am so, so sorry that it has taken you a while before you could tell us about losing Buster.

Those of us that have pets understand the pain, heartache and emptiness you and your wife are feeling at the moment.

Our pets are our family. We grieve when we lose them. Just the same grieving as if it were any other member of our family.

16 is a wonderful age, but it doesn't make the heartache any less (knowing we gave them, and they gave us, so much pleasure and happiness).

We try to hang on to them for as long as possible (for us) but you did the right thing, you let him go for his sake.

You wont believe what I am going to say now, but, there will be a point in the future, when you and your wife will look back on all the years you spent with Buster, and have a smile on your face thinking of all the happy memories you shared , instead of at the moment with pain in your heart and tears.

For Animal Lovers

Unfortunately Postied we have no control when our pet gets sick – You did your best. . . 'Buster' was well loved and your little dog knew it -

A Dog’s Plea!

Treat me kindly my beloved friend, for no heart in the entire world is grateful as the loving heart of me, do not break me with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding would more quickly teach me the things you have me learn?

Speak to me often for your voice is the world’s sweetest music as you must know by the wagging of my tail when your foot steps falls upon my waiting ear!

Please don’t leave me outside when it is cold and wet; for I am a domesticated kind of animal I’m no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. .

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst!

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life if need be!

And my friend when I am older no longer enjoy hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going when I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently, and I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw my life was always safest in your hands!

So sorry postied and Hilary, RIP Buster :)
Just think his in animal heaven now, being welcomed by all our pets that we have lost, he will be well looked after up there.

As I posted on this website, we had to have our cat put down just before Christmas and it's a very hard decision to make - but you know when the time is right. We miss Katy every day, but would have kept her alive for our sakes, not hers. She had a wonderful life with you and your wife, Postied, just remember that.

I have photos of four dogs, who have given me their love and devotion, near to my computer. One of them is sleeping behind my chair, the other three are with your lovely Buster, Jim. I will never forget them and think of them every day with joy, and some pain.

R.I.P. Buster.

Postied,my heart goes out to you and your wife.
Because of our worry this last week,I feel for you and it must have been so hard for you to post a message about my Katie,thank you.

Those wonderful photos will keep Busters memory alive for ever and bring a smile to your face.He appears to have been quite a character.

Alberta

Back