• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bruno Schulze Business Records

Thanks for that so far there is no record of a Carl in the family, but we are still finding details about them so I'll let you know if he turns up.

Not sure if you saw this posted on another thread.

I am not sure if this is of interest but there is a Carl Friedrich SCHUTZE buried in Key Hill Cemetery in 1886. Section K grave no 734. The grave was purchased for possibly three people as it mentions buried at 9ft. Carl is the only person buried in the grave

I have a photograph of this grave which is one of the random ones I took this year whilst photographing ancestors graves. If anyone does link Carl Friedrich SCHUTZE as an ancestor I will be happy to send them the photograph:)

I don't know which is incorrect,the gravestone or the records, but the Death record in 1886 shows Carl Friedrich SCHUTZE age 58 and he is
on the 1881 census as SCHUTZE Carl F ,Merchants clerk,unmarried age 53 born Germany lodging in Islington Row.

Just in case it's of any use to you or anyone else. The inscription reads:
Carl Friedrich Schutze born Stralsund February 24th 1828 died Birmingham January 31st 1886.

Well we've had a bit of a break but we are still on the trail of the Schulze's and Henry Edward Smith.

We have had some new information come to light which may be a reason for the disappearance of Henry Edward Smith. Including Fred Schulze potentially committing fraud and obtaining the family business illegally- potentially pushing Henry out and also in his will there is a specific mention that none of his money should go to any Catholic members of the family- to which Henry and my side of the family were and still are.

We are trying to look at a variety of new avenues, but something that came up that I'm not sure if anyone can help us with is in regards to 60 Pershore Street.

We know the Schulze family bought the property and used it both as a home and business for sausage skin making, and that in 1918 Henry Edward Smith owned the business, but by 1922 Fred Schulze owned it.

If anyone can find records between 1919-1922 to say who was owner of the business then would be of great help, but also we wondered when Pershore street was redeveloped.

We understand Fred owned the business until the late 1950s (he died in 1958) and we presume it was owned by him up until either his death, in which case his wife Marie may have taken it over (although it is not directly mentioned in Fred's will) or when Pershore Street was redeveloped the council/other business brought the property> I don't know if there is anyway of finding out what happened, such as was the property put up for sale or was it just brought privatley.

If anyone has any thoughts or can point me in the right direction- you have all been really helpful before so I knew this would be the place to come and discuss it!

Hi Sez,

The information you are seeking is almost certainly no longer available. If the business was a limited company, then ownership would be determined by the number of shares and the only likely records of these would have been in the annual returns, which have long since been destroyed by Companies House.

If a partnership, then this would have been governed by the Partnership Act 1890. In either case, accounts would have had to be audited, so an external firm of accountants would have been involved. (Sole traders were exempt from this provision, though many may have opted to use an accountant or employ a bookkeeper).

Your big problem is finding out which firm of accountants were employed to do the auditing. If you could establish that then there is a very slim chance (and I mean slim) that some papers might be filed away in a cellar somewhere. Lawyers frequently deposit old papers in Birmingham Archives, e.g. the Crowder papers, I'm not so sure about accountants doing the same!

As to ownership of the building, the Rate Books, if they have survived beyond 1913 (the last year I have spotted in Birmingham Archives), should state the name of the owner and/or leaseholder. Perhaps someone who visits Birmingham Archives on a more regular basis can tell us the last year for those old bound Rate Books.

What were the exact titles of the businesses? If limited companies, there must have been liquidation notices published - London Gazette again, local press - were the liquidators the same firm that were previously the companies' auditors? Do they still exist, were they taken over, etc. ?????

I think that you've done very well to establish the facts that you have so far. You're now really in the lap of the gods! ;)

Maurice :cool:

Thanks for that.

I did look at the London Gazette but found no further reference to the Schulze's than the notices you found already. The business was partly sold off and my great grandfather took ownership of the Birmingham branch in 1918, other than that there is currently no news, although I have asked the Sudbury family History Society to look minto the Sudbusy Casings company- the only one that seems to have a businesss name, the others are listed in Kelly's directory as Sausage skin Manufacturers.

I am planning to visit the archives so I will look into the rate books.

The only mention of the businesses I have come across is on the google search, you can focus a serach on books and it mentions journal/book about meat and produce, I can't access the page but it seems to mention something about the Schulze's providing produce or possibly it's an advert.

Anyweay I will keep you updated with any new info and if you have any other thought they are most welcome. Thanks

Hi Sez,

The only references I could find in Google Books were:-

The Law Times Vol. 145 (1918) - an email to [email protected] telling them the year (because it did change ownership just after WW2) might locate the archives for this journal. Possibly JSTOR and you'll need access to a university library if so (or a friend who works at one or is on a law course there!) However, I suspect that this probably just refers to what you already know from Hansard.

Meat Trades Journal & Cattle Salesman's Gazette Vol 80 (1932) - this is now published by William Reed Business Media at Crawley, though I doubt if it was in 1932. Although they have a website, they don't seem keen on handing out an email address. As there is no preview of the contents, it could be an advertisement or just a trade listing. It might be worth an email to the British Library to see if they have any archived copies.

All these sort of references are just pot luck, but you never know, it might just be a snippet of news about part of the company being sold or closed down.

Hi Sez

Kelly's 1921 has at 60 Pershore Street - Frederic Schulze - Sausage skin manufacturer.

Suzanne

Hello

Hope you are well. Just a quick update on the Schulze/Smith family.

We visited the Archives and did find references to the business and family, but nothing significant. The business was in Henry Smith's name in 1919 and 1920, then with Fred Schulze in 1921- around the time which we believe Fred married and Henry disappears.

We have had interesting information from Fred and his wife Marie's will. Marie left a significant amount of money mainly to charities, and some was divided among friends and a select few members of family (although not a lot was left to family). We are awaiting the wills of Marie and Bruno Schulze (parents of Fred, and to whom the business originally belonged) to clarify whether Fred was really entitled to the business.

Other than that the big news comes from a newspaper article we put in the Holsworthy Post (Devon) last year. We were recently contacted by a distant relative and we know that a lady called Freda (daughter of Marie, Fred's sister and grand-daughter of Bruno Schulze) is still alive living in Birmingham!

We hope to hear from the family again soon and hope to meet Freda who we feel may have some answers about the whole mystery, Fred would have been her uncle and my grandfather her cousin so hopefully she may be able to clarify what happened with Fred and the business, but may also know what happened to Henry Edward Smith, my great gradfather and why he disappeared!!

Fingers crossed! If we get some answers we will write and thank the newspaper- we hear the Schulze's were the talk of the town when we put the note in the paper and it's already given us a link to another member of family, but they knew less than we did.

I'll let you know if anything comes from this.

Thanks for that update, sez - we hope that you have some success in tracing Freda. A really intriguing story! :)

Back