• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Buses To West Bromwich

Hello Burwaybird, Yes I used to catch the 7 home from Victoria Square, it changed to 5a on the way into Town, wasn't sure why!
rosie.

The 5A (5) and 7 was a cross city service. It was a 7 on route to Portland Road and then became 5A when going to the other terminus at Perry Common. It commenced in 1926 as the 5 (city to Perry Common). 1927 saw the change to a cross city route 5 and 7. 1939 saw the extension to Court Lane 5A.
There was a 5 (5A) and 6. The 6 went to Sandon Road. Changes were made around the PTE time.
Curiously, as a youngster, I was intrigued by the name Perry Common. I knew of Perry Como, the American singer, I wondered if there was a connection in any way. Strange what you think as a child.
My eldest son once asked, when Edward Heath was defeated by Harold Wilson at a general election, "will Heathrow (airport) now be Wilson Row?" :D

Thank you, it was always strange giving directions! It was usually on time too as there was a Bundy Clock at the terminus.
rosie.

Back