• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Buses in Pool Meadow Bus Station in Coventry in the Late 1970,s

horsencart

master brummie
This Video may be of interest https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/13145758575/

Two things of note, one is that the Midland Red driver of the S23 has the passenger door open this was the norm for Midland Red drivers in other areas, not just Coventry it it not the sort of thing that would happen these days,
The Second thing is that anyone know the inspector who gives me the evil eye at in the film at about42 seconds?

That brings back memories of working the 765 Lichfield/Coventry service, whilst at Tamworth. Used to love driving the route along with the other long service X99 Birmingham/Nottingham. Half shift over by the time you got back to depot. Spent 10 years at Tamworth in the late '70s early '80s.

The inspector was / is Alan Walker, who was proud of being a former Guards officer and therefore always had his cap peak moved down to touch his nose. A really nice chap who lived in Birmingham and usually travelled to & from Coventry on one of the express coach services that used those cities. His cheery "Go have a rest, driver, I'll take it to Digbeth" at the end of his shift was quite welcome after a long and busy day behind the wheel.

Many thanks

The inspector was / is Alan Walker, who was proud of being a former Guards officer and therefore always had his cap peak moved down to touch his nose. A really nice chap who lived in Birmingham and usually travelled to & from Coventry on one of the express coach services that used those cities. His cheery "Go have a rest, driver, I'll take it to Digbeth" at the end of his shift was quite welcome after a long and busy day behind the wheel.

Back