• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bus Garages

According to my information BCT had 14 bus garages in various part of the city in the early 1950's.
Acocks Green, Barford Street, Birchfield Road, Cotteridge, *Coventry Road (formerly Arthur Street), Harborne, Highgate Road, Hockley, Liverpool Street, Moseley Road, Miller Street, Perry Barr, Quinton, Rosebery Street, Selly Oak, **Washwood Heath and Yardley Wood.
A former Midland Red depot at Tennant Street (1914 - 1939 for saloon buses) remained for their service vehicles until 1954.
A tram depot was at Witton (formerly Aston Manor) which closed after the trams ceased in 1953.
Lea Hall opened in 1955 and Barford Street then, apparently closed. Barford Street had operated the original Nechells 7 trolleybus route.
* Coventry Road also housed trolleybuses until July 1951.
** Washwood Heath housed some trolley buses until 1940
and not forgetting the famous 'Lake' known as Kyotts Lake Road.

depots in italics had been tram depots.

E&OE :D

Last edited:
According to my information BCT had 14 bus garages in various part of the city in the early 1950's.
Acocks Green, Barford Street, Birchfield Road, *Coventry Road (formerly Arthur Street), Harborne, Highgate Road, Hockley, Liverpool Street, Moseley Road, Perry Barr, Quinton, Rosebery Street, Selly Oak, **Washwood Heath and Yardley Wood.
A former Midland Red depot at Tennant Street (1914 - 1939 for saloon buses) remained for their service vehicles until 1954.
A tram depot was at Witton (formerly Aston Manor) which closed after the trams ceased in 1953.
Lea Hall opened in 1955 and Barford Street then, apparently closed. Barford Street had operated the original Nechells 7 trolleybus route.
* Coventry Road also housed trolleybuses until July 1951.
** Washwood Heath housed some trolley buses until 1940
There was a tram depot at Cotteridge and not forgetting the famous 'Lake' known as Kyotts Lake Road.

depots in italics had been tram depots.

E&OE :D

Nechells trolleybuses ran from Washwood Heath depot, running to and from the main route with one pole on the tram power wire and towing a 'skate' in the rails for return current. This skate would bounce along showering sparks everywhere, breaking the WW2 blackout regulations so the route was converted to motorbus operation, becoming the 43. Barford Street garage operated the Inner Circle and possibly the City Circle as well. Missing from your list is Miller Street, the tramway department's original 1904 first depot and Cotteridge, a former CBT company tram depot.

Nechells trolleybuses ran from Washwood Heath depot, running to and from the main route with one pole on the tram power wire and towing a 'skate' in the rails for return current. This skate would bounce along showering sparks everywhere, breaking the WW2 blackout regulations so the route was converted to motorbus operation, becoming the 43. Barford Street garage operated the Inner Circle and possibly the City Circle as well. Missing from your list is Miller Street, the tramway department's original 1904 first depot and Cotteridge, a former CBT company tram depot.
sounds risky

Thanks for Miller Street, Lloyd. I thought I had added it in, especially as was the original tram depot. Cotteridge was listed (as a footnote) but I did not believe it was ever a bus garage. If it was I will add it to the list.

Thanks for Miller Street, Lloyd. I thought I had added it in, especially as was the original tram depot. Cotteridge was listed (as a footnote) but I did not believe it was ever a bus garage. If it was I will add it to the list.

Yes it ran buses after the trams finished, and became the first depot to have all of its buses as rear engined ones.

Hockley also had a distinction of being a cable car depot

As to Selly Oak, the large depot at Harborne Lane looked modern for a tram depot.

I remember going to school from Yardley to Moseley School of art and passing the bus garage on the Cov rd by the Blues stadium top of the hill

With the upcoming closure and demolition of Perry Barr Garage and its replacement by a new building plus the future closure of Liverpool Street that will leave Acocks Green and Yardley Wood as the only traditional style garages still operational. These days open yards that cost less in rates have taken over.

Back