• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bus garages in the 60s

Peter crumpton

proper brummie kid
I have been reading an old thread about but buses and it bought memories flooding back. When I left school in 1966, I started my working life at cross field rd bus garage in kitts green. They still had some of the old trolley buses in storage at the side of the workshop.
Peter

I have been reading an old thread about but buses and it bought memories flooding back. When I left school in 1966, I started my working life at cross field rd bus garage in kitts green. They still had some of the old trolley buses in storage at the side of the workshop.
Peter
hi peter i think my uncle worked at kitts green depot...does the name bert howard ring any bells

lyn

Peter
The trolleybuses ran from Coventry Road garage (also known as Arthur Street depot) and finished in 1952. The space they occupied was needed for the motorbuses taking over the routes the next day, so they were all whisked away to scrapyards as soon as they finished their last journeys. Crossfield Road (Lea Hall) garage was used for temporary storage of withdrawn motorbuses, but only for short periods of time. They were sold by tender in batches of about 40 and were required to be removed within a short period after sale. Below is a photo of a trolleybus, number & coat of arms painted out, off to the scrapyard at Stratforn on Avon a short time after its last service run.

Attachments

• Trolleybus off for scrap.jpg
    Trolleybus off for scrap.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 29
Hi Peter , I have moved your post to correct section.
Hello Alberta. My dad, Norman Parke was a driver at Lea Hall from 1966 until the 90's.
He passed away on the 11th August 2023 and I am struggling to fine a double decker for the funeral. Do you know anyone that could help?
Annette x

These are some pictures of dad and a few of the other drivers

Attachments

• IMG-20230812-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20230812-WA0022.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20230812-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230812-WA0013.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20210123-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20210123-WA0021.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210117_000645.jpg
    20210117_000645.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210117_001113.jpg
    20210117_001113.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 16
Hello Alberta. My dad, Norman Parke was a driver at Lea Hall from 1966 until the 90's.
He passed away on the 11th August 2023 and I am struggling to fine a double decker for the funeral. Do you know anyone that could help?
Annette x
Hi annette
Sorry to hear about your dad. I don't actually remember the name as driver ers and mechanics did not mix that much. The only thing I can think of is a heritage centre. There is one man who might help called fuzz Townsend who is a tv presenter . Hope you find one.
Regards peter

Annette x
Annette

Have a chat with the old Aston manor Transport Museum, now based in Aldredge. They are a super helpful community museum who I have done a few events with in the past. Try Martin Fisher. https://www.amrtm.org/

Alternatively, there is also the Wythall Transport Museum. I don’t have any contacts there but worth a shot. https://wythall.org.uk/

Annette, have you tried National Express direct, they do have a fleet of heritage buses, I think the person to contact would be Tony Hunter, sorry that I have no contact details for him but National Express might in fact I know they will have, there is one or two facebook groups dedicated to the Heritage Buses and ex-employees, worth a try

Annette, have you tried National Express direct, they do have a fleet of heritage buses, I think the person to contact would be Tony Hunter, sorry that I have no contact details for him but National Express might in fact I know they will have, there is one or two facebook groups dedicated to the Heritage Buses and ex-employees, worth a try
Thank you. I did try them. Thy said no!

hi peter i think my uncle worked at kitts green depot...does the name bert howard ring any bells

lyn
Hi Peter. My dad worked on the buses in the 60,s. His name was Bernard Davies nickname bunny. I can't remember what depot he worked from.my mum was also a clippie

Back