• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bus Deliveries

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
I can remember during the late forties seeing vehicles coming from a northwards direction heading South down Chester Road, that were basically just the chassis with an engine, a driver huddled up on a box, flat cap, peak at rear, goggles, gauntlets and an amazing number of coats on, the top one with string/twine around the waist, the driver sat along side the engine. I assumed they were buses Crossley or possibly Leylañd heading to either Tyburn works or Washwood Heath. However Crossley (new look) had their own bodies as did some of the JOJ Leylands. The HOV Leylands had Brush bodies and the remainder of the JOJ Leylands had Park Royal bodies. Was I wrong in my assumption? Has anyone personal knowledge?
Bob

Interesting Bob.
Exposed radiator and 'new look' Crossleys all had Crossley bodies. As you point out some Leylands, HOV's had Brush bodies, Leyland PD2's ( JOJ) 2131 - 2180 had Leyland bodies, 2181 - 2130 had Park Royal as you also pointed out.
My guess would be that they were the first batch of 100 Guys (Guy Arab III) JOJ 526 - 625 (2526 -2625) which entered service during the period 7/1950 - 5/1951.

Interesting Bob.
Exposed radiator and 'new look' Crossleys all had Crossley bodies. As you point out some Leylands, HOV's had Brush bodies, Leyland PD2's ( JOJ) 2131 - 2180 had Leyland bodies, 2181 - 2130 had Park Royal as you also pointed out.
My guess would be that they were the first batch of 100 Guys (Guy Arab III) JOJ 526 - 625 (2526 -2625) which entered service during the period 7/1950 - 5/1951.
Funny I discounted the Guys, because they came from Wolverhampton. But I was wondering how are friend Elf n safety would look at it if it was tried today. Thanks for the suggestion.
Bob

Hi,
Metro- Cammell Weymann in Washwood Heath still had its chassis delivered
in the same way in the 1980s.
Kind regards
Dave

Back