• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burton Shops

Another survivor, albeit no longer Burton's, is at the junction of Bristol Road and Dale Road in Selly Oak (first image 1963, second image Google Streetview). The building has had another storey added to it in more recent times. Viv

image.jpeg image.jpeg

One more on Soho Road, Handsworth, still standing but has lost its signage at roof level, windows have changed and no longer Burton's. First image 1939, second Google Streetview.

Does anyone remember if it once had a snooker hall above the shop ? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi All,
There is little doubt that "Gone for a Burton" is an RAF euphemism to indicate that the unfortunate subject has been involved in an incident (shot down perhaps) that has led to his demise. I am sure that it has nothing to do with Burtons suits. One thing certain is that this saying surfaced during the war. It was widely assumed that this saying was referring to Burtons Beer and as RAF Lichfield was close to the brewing town of Burton it is the answer to which I subscribe although one can never know the truth.
Old Boy
As can be seen there are more myths than facts about this phrase. There was certainly, it seems, an RAF connection but it had little to do with purchasing suits of clothes.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gone-for-a-burton.html

Just driven past the Burton in #23 - Acock's Green. It is an original as I could see at least one plaque - no camera and not able to stop this morning but will try and get a photo later this coming week.

Hi All,
There is little doubt that "Gone for a Burton" is an RAF euphemism to indicate that the unfortunate subject has been involved in an incident (shot down perhaps) that has led to his demise. I am sure that it has nothing to do with Burtons suits. One thing certain is that this saying surfaced during the war. It was widely assumed that this saying was referring to Burtons Beer and as RAF Lichfield was close to the brewing town of Burton it is the answer to which I subscribe although one can never know the truth.
Old Boy
There appear to be a multitude of derivations, just found thishttps://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gone-for-a-burton.html
Bob

And this is the old Burton shop (Nationwide) just around the corner on High Street. This great image was taken by Andrew Miller on 13 August 1983. What a lovely building it was, so very sad that it's now gone.

Viv.

image.jpeg

Don't remember the Corporation Street store below. Not sure of the date of this one but presumably it's pre-1970s. Looks like it had an impressive upper facade. Viv.

image.jpeg

This 1920s image shows Burtons in the High Street (left) with 7 shillings suit sign. Viv.

View attachment 133455
70/- Seventy Shillings £3.50, can anybody put that in todays money? The number dates the postcard as after 1912, but from the only ladies in the picture (their dresses would define the approximate date). the hats appear to be 1914 - 1922, if only we could see the reg number of the car. In the mists of my memory was there a 50 shilling tailor?
Bob

Another thread reminded me of this one.
There seemed to be a Burton tailors shop in most towns of any size.
As for snooker halls above well, that, as far as I can make out, was shrewd marketing. In the days before women were allowed anywhere near a snooker table, other than to dust it or vacuum clean the floor beneath it, it was a male only preserve. And naturally it was men who bought suits. ;)

If I remember correctly, having been reminded of the Burtons on Soho Road, Handsworth, on another thread recently, there was a snooker hall just before the market hall on the same side as Burtons. Incidentally this snooker hall was identical to the one which is a pub now, or was in West Bromwich, and yes I did use the snooker hall.

Back