• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burton Shops

There is a Burtons in Acocks Green village and when I was about twelve {65 years ago} I used to use the snooker hall upstairs.

Thanks for the tip off Stitcher. Here it is. Looks like it needs some TLC. Upstairs now seems to be used as a martial arts studio. But there's a Burton's shop at ground level. When the buildings were originally built, the shop must have been substantial in size at street level. And did the upper floor have very high ceilings ? Viv..

image.jpeg

Lyn
To modify an old expression (well down south anyway): "When you've got to go (there), you've got to go (there)"

nice windows on that burton shop viv...wonder what it was before burtons..

lyn

Lyn
If you mean post 23 then I think it looks like one of the original buildings built for Burtons

As far as I can make out, all the Burton shops were purpose built in Deco style.

Interesting point in the first link Froth that Burton's produced a quarter of the uniforms for WW1. Must have put the business on a very strong footing, making it possible to build so many, and such large, shops in the 1920s/30s.

Also metions 'the full Monty'. Didn't know it was a suit created by Burton's ! Viv.

Another survivor, albeit no longer Burton's, is at the junction of Bristol Road and Dale Road in Selly Oak (first image 1963, second image Google Streetview). The building has had another storey added to it in more recent times. Viv

image.jpeg image.jpeg

One more on Soho Road, Handsworth, still standing but has lost its signage at roof level, windows have changed and no longer Burton's. First image 1939, second Google Streetview.

Does anyone remember if it once had a snooker hall above the shop ? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi All,
There is little doubt that "Gone for a Burton" is an RAF euphemism to indicate that the unfortunate subject has been involved in an incident (shot down perhaps) that has led to his demise. I am sure that it has nothing to do with Burtons suits. One thing certain is that this saying surfaced during the war. It was widely assumed that this saying was referring to Burtons Beer and as RAF Lichfield was close to the brewing town of Burton it is the answer to which I subscribe although one can never know the truth.
Old Boy
As can be seen there are more myths than facts about this phrase. There was certainly, it seems, an RAF connection but it had little to do with purchasing suits of clothes.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gone-for-a-burton.html

Just driven past the Burton in #23 - Acock's Green. It is an original as I could see at least one plaque - no camera and not able to stop this morning but will try and get a photo later this coming week.

Hi All,
There is little doubt that "Gone for a Burton" is an RAF euphemism to indicate that the unfortunate subject has been involved in an incident (shot down perhaps) that has led to his demise. I am sure that it has nothing to do with Burtons suits. One thing certain is that this saying surfaced during the war. It was widely assumed that this saying was referring to Burtons Beer and as RAF Lichfield was close to the brewing town of Burton it is the answer to which I subscribe although one can never know the truth.
Old Boy
There appear to be a multitude of derivations, just found thishttps://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gone-for-a-burton.html
Bob

Back