• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burton Shops

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Not sure whether this has been shown before ( maybe I have?) The old Burton shop in Erdington high street

Attachments

• burton2.PNG
    burton2.PNG
    337.1 KB · Views: 14
  • burton.PNG
    burton.PNG
    346.6 KB · Views: 11
The shops had a number of standard features (from Wiipedia): "....... wide polished black granite band above the shop windows for signage, metal vent grates bearing the company logo, billiard halls on the upper levels, window lights showing the locations of other Burton stores, and mosaic titles - sometimes including the company logo - in the doorways".

"At ground level, foundation stones were often placed by Montague Burton's four children, Barbara, Stanley, Arnold and Raymond. Each store might have one or several foundation stones, each bearing one name and the year".

I noticed the edge of the Burton building in the Bull Ring (once stood next to the Times Furnishing building) in this photo posted by Stitcher on the Bull Ring 1930s to 1950s thread. The building shows several features of those mentioned in the quote. But sadly the building has gone.
image.jpeg

I've seen Burton buildings with the plaques mentioned in the quote but not in Birmingham. They're about 12" square at street level. The one I saw had four stones on one building. So keep those eyes peeled ! Viv.

Burton's bull ring building to the right of Times Furnishing. Sorry, no date. Viv.

image.jpeg

There are some of these small plagues at bottom of the store in Erdington High street. I will go and take some photos tomorrow.

That'd be great Froth. Be interesting to see which Burton family members they name. Thanks. Viv.

There is a Burtons in Acocks Green village and when I was about twelve {65 years ago} I used to use the snooker hall upstairs.

If you are going to Erdington tomorrow, I suggest you take some precautions, particularly face masks Frothblower. :D

Blimey Froth they're like tombstones ! The ones I've seen are much smaller.

Raymond and Arnold were sons of the founder (Montague) and were twins, b.1917, so they were 20 when the stones were laid.

Is the Erdington building protected ? Viv.

No idea about the building being protected?
Their sizes I guess are about 15" x 9" ?
That would make them centenarians.

A classic Burton shop survives today on Stratford Road. And still has a snooker hall above - not sure if it's still in use. Images courtesy Google Streetview. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

froth i must have walked past the burton plaques in erdington...did you take a long shot of the shop

Back