• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burridge - John James

George was Minnie's husband. No idea about John Francis. Minnie Rose had a daughter also Minnie Rose but she married an Alfred Davis. Who is Minnie Bentley?
Janice

yes i know george was minnies hubby janice...minnie was marys anns sister i think you said?

have no idea who minnie florence bentley is on the 1935 e rolls but maybe a rellie of mary ann bentley who is on the 1920 e rolls...its at this point my mind has gone blank:D:D:D

Yes Minnie is Mary's sister.
Lyn - I am feeling guilty about the time you are spending helping me out but perhaps we need a break and a think before coming back to it. By all means dig a bit but I am sure you must have other things to research. We may never crack this who knows? It is certainly complex. Many many thanks for your help so far.:confused:
Janice

oh dont feel quilty janice would not do it if i didnt want to but i think a break is needed...we can always come back to it with a fresh mind...and who knows..someone else may try to unravel this mystery and solve it...fingers crossed:)

My.....................I am loving this mystery :)
There is a J.BURREDGE (note spelling) age 27yrs. Labourer arrived Liverpool 12th. November 1905 on the ship OTTAWA having left Montreal Quebec Canada official number 70932. Maybe you already have this.

Keep up the good work ladies

Also a John Burridge age 25yrs. Brassfinisher arrives Montreal 18th. June 1905 on the vessel KENSINGTON from Liverpool. Same person???

Minnie F Bentley Sep 1913 Bham, mother's maiden name Layland

Lilian E Bentley Sep 1911 Bham, mmn Leyland

There are 2 Bentley baptisms on Ancestry with mother Mary Ann, one of them is Lilian Eva.

Also a John Burridge age 25yrs. Brassfinisher arrives Montreal 18th. June 1905 on the vessel KENSINGTON from Liverpool. Same person???
I like this as I know my John was involved in brass work - many thanks. Bit worried about the other one as he is described as a labourer.
Janice

thanks MWS and rowan...janice i think rowans john burridge has to be the right one..

Morning Lyn. I agree - it is the same ship I found earlier but this entry says "brass worker". That confirms he went in 1905. Now need to sort these Mary Ann entries.
Out most of the morning.
Janice

Lilian Eva born 1911 appears to have died in 1912 that is why she does not appear later on. Her parents on the baptism record (19 Aug 1911) are Mary Ann and John (an upholsterer). The address is 3 back 68 Severn Street. I can't access Minnie's baptism as she was born after 1912 and the online records seem to stop then.
Janice

Try John Lattam in 1911.
Yes I found that see #55 - and I am getting confused by all these John and Mary's with surnames beginning with B and the same address. I think we have two possibilities - the Canada marriage I found is a coincidence; or he came back under a different name. Thanks for the other ref to John Bentley. I can see I will end up having to buy some certificates - just need to think which otherwise it will be very expensive!
Janice

Sorry missed that one.

To me it looks like John Burridge married Mary, fathered one or two children then abandoned the family and went to Canada.

Mary subsequently met John Bentley and because she was never divorced they couldn't marry. They had three or four children (if Mary Irene was a Bentley). One surviving.

John died in 1919 and Mary at some stage reverted back to using Burridge (maybe after her daughter married) because that was her legal name.

Latham is not too different from Layland.

I think you could be right. No idea about who the father of Mary Irene was except her baptism is as Burridge. It is just why did she have to find another John? Very confusing.
Janice

But interesting.

I had a similar problem with a great great grandmother when she and her children were listed under her third husband's name before they were married.

Lilian Eva (1912) and John (1919) were both probably buried at Key Hill but looks like common graves as I found other names for the same year in the same grave. (I can now confirm both these are buried in graves with 80+ other people).
Janice

Last edited:
Back