• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burridge - John James

pjmburns

master brummie
My paternal Gran was a Burridge and my puzzle concerns two of her brothers.
To start at the beginning Joseph Burridge (1852 to 1913) married Catherine (Kate) Syron (1852 to 1912) in 1872. They had 10 children that I know of. Ada (1894 to 1945) my Gran (was the 9th and when she was born the eldest was 20). According to my Dad two of her older brothers John James (born 1880) and Joseph (born 1884) both went to Canada - based on things he overheard as a child he thinks they "had to get away" but that may be misinterpretation of what he heard. Certainly I could not find information after the 1901 census.
At least one got married as a son Richard was in the Canadian forces in WW2, sent to England and visited the family - Dad remembers the party! Dad is not sure which brother Richard belonged to.
Then I found a marriage for John in 1902 (same address as 1901 census) to Mary Ann Layland, there seem to have been two children John Thomas (1904) and Mary Irene (born and died 1906). I found a Mary Burridge on electoral rolls up to 1955 - is it the same one?
The question is - I thought I had found a shipping entry for John in 1905 before his daughter was born and I thought I had a marriage in Canada but am no longer sure as, if it is him, it contains some incorrect facts. I also thought i had a marriage for Joseph.
Any ideas?
Janice

Attachments

• John Burridge marriage Birmingham.JPG
    John Burridge marriage Birmingham.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 15
  • John Burridge Canada marriage 2.jpg
    John Burridge Canada marriage 2.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Joseph Burridge Canada marriage.jpg
    Joseph Burridge Canada marriage.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 14
janice im not convinced just yet with the john canada marr..little bit of an age difference in the two..on his 1902 marr he is aged 22 on the 1913 marr in canada he is aged 37...also on one half of the marr cert it says his wife susan is a widow but on the other half of the cert it says she is a spinster

the occ and name of his dad fit but john says he was born in canada..

also noted on the canada marr cert it also gives johns mothers first name of kate and her maiden name of syron...have you found out yet if johns mom was a kate syron... oops sorry just noticed that she was so in that case the marr cert for john in canada must be correct and its looking like john left mary went to canada and got married again telling a porky that he was born in canada...adding a few years to his age and stating he was a bachelor..

Last edited:
Definitely Syron - although spellings vary. Siron on my Gran's birth cert but Kate could not read or write as the cert has "her mark" on it. (This Gran born in back house in Inge Street just down from the back to backs!). I think when I first found the Canada marriage I was sure but then doubted myself - as you and MWS say it is something he might well do if he left his first wife.

Janice

MWS - many thanks for that - it is good to have the sailing confirmed and also the 1911 census. Also thanks for the 1939 confirmation. I have her in 1935 on electoral roll and also same address up to 1955 (also lists the son) . Ironically a few doors away from relatives of my Grandad.
Janice

Last edited:
janice are you happy you have the right marr cert now...just looking at the 2 marriage certs i have here for my bigamist gt gt grandad(first one ladywood second one yorkshire) and on his second marr cert he put down bachelor..:rolleyes: must have been awful for his first wife as on the the 71 census she states she is a widow 81 married and 91 widow...she was however very lucky that she and her 2 children continued to live with rellies until her death..could very well have ended up in the workhouse..

Last edited:
Yes, I think so. It was just good to get someone else's opinion on the Canadian one. I now need to trace his first wife in 1911. I can't find her on the 1911 census at the moment - am just wondering if she went to Canada and couldn't cope so came back (or is that my over active imagination again?)
Janice

morning janice so are we now looking for mary ann burridge on the 1911......am i right that you have her up to the 1955 e rolls under her married name..dont worry about the imagination..anything is possible

lyn

I only came across the marriage by chance fairly recently - my Dad seems unaware of this marriage and so I just assumed John married in Canada. Then I found the Birmingham one. I checked the online electoral rolls on Ancestry but haven't been to the library to check later or other years however, in 1930 she was living at 44 Blucher Street with John Thomas (the son). In 1955 she was at the same address on her own. I think the son was married in 1932. Have just checked the address on 1925 and there is a Mary Ann Bentley at that address! The plot thickens.
Janice

Afternoon Lyn. I found a death of a Mary Ann Burridge in 1966 aged 85 so that fits. Haven't sent for death cert as, I remember now, I stopped on this line as it is not a direct one - also concentrated on Mom's side while she was still able to show an interest and provide memories. Also found possible marriage for the son in 1932 and then a possible death in 1983. He seems to have had one daughter.
Janice

the plot does thicken janice...time for me to get my note book and pen out before i lose it and its easier if i can see what i am doing lol..i have a bit more spare time this weekend so for starters will try and find mary ann and son john thomas b 1904 on the 1911 in this country...

Thanks for your help. It is so much easier with two brains. I try bouncing ideas off my husband but he is not as addicted as I am. Will also try - getting all fired up again!
Janice

happy to help janice ...sometimes its also good to have these breaks from researching certain rellies then go back to them with a fresh mind...never know what may turn up...will report back im on the case now:)

just one thing janice have you found mary anns parents joseph and catherine/kate on the 1911 as they were both still alive then...over to ancestry now..

Joseph and Kate were Mary Ann's in-laws. Yes - they were at 76 Bell Barn Road with 4 of their children. I think I have also found Mary Ann's parents Benjamin and Francis Layland at 58 Blucher Street.
Janice

oops sorry janice i meant to say marys anns in laws...i found them as well on the 1911 so if you have also found mary anns parents she was not with either of them mmmm..so where was she with son john thomas..that is the question

I also tried some of her brothers and sisters in 1911 and drew a blank. I did a search on FMP as well i case of transcription errors but haven't found anything so far.
Janice

well we know she was alive until death in 1966 so she must have been somewhere in 1911 will report back if i find anything...

kind of going backwards really but its nice to get a bit of background and you may have already got these...bapt for john thomas b 1904 add upper gough st...birth for his sister mary irene b 1st quarter 1906 d 2nd quarter 1906 add when bapt 43 owen st

still no sign of mary ann and john thomas on the 1911..early days yet

Thanks - I had found them. If I have the correct sailing for John (arr Canada in June 1905) then I am not sure he was the Father!! The trouble with sailing info is that it is very vague. I can't double check as I must have found it on a Canada freebie weekend and now I can't open it. I can see I will have to send for some certs.
Janice

The rate books for 1906 show a John Burridge at 43 Owen Street but crossed out. There is another name next to it in the column for people moving in after a previous tenant. Is this just a move or did he leave?
Janice

Attachments

• 1906 Rate book.JPG
    1906 Rate book.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 6
right janice so if john did arrive in canada in the june of 1905 wife mary ann could well have been pregnant with mary irene note he is down as the father on the baptism...i will email mikejee as he maybe able to help with the sailing info..

There is a John Burridge listed on findmypast, outward passengers for 1905, right age. No subscription so not sure what other info is listed.

The rate books for 1906 show a John Burridge at 43 Owen Street but crossed out. There is another name next to it in the column for people moving in after a previous tenant. Is this just a move or did he leave?
Janice

now that is interesting janice..

thanks mws trying to find out more about the sailing record...

I don't know (but probably Ancestry) - it is attached to my tree but I must have got it on a free weekend and it won't let me open it any more. I just have the date I recorded which says "arrived 18 June 1905". I have just searched a Canadian census site but unless he lied about age I can't find him or they haven't transcribed all records.
Janice

Found a scanned version from FMP - no idea thought if it is the right John as it says he is a gardener and that made me question it. If it isn't him then have no idea when he went.
Janice

Attachments

• Scan_20160917.jpg
    Scan_20160917.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 8
I should have a rest - I don't know about you but my head is spinning. I now think this is why I stopped. I still think she might have followed him out to Canada and then come back for some reason.
Janice

Back