• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burlington St Schools

I'm going to have a stab at some of the names of the children, I'm sure more will come to me when I click post
Paul Simpson (me). John Woodward, Andrew Hayes, Michael Faye, Malcom Wilson, Brian Drinkwater, Muttin Kham, Carol Burns
Pamela Whitehouse, Hughie Friel, John Broome, Stephen Fowkes, Kevin Butler, Janet Avril, need to think about the rest.

The pictures with the houses in background were taken in the same playground as the boys outdoor urinals, can't see that happening today

Just saw the photo with Mrs Hardy in, above - and it brought it back, after all these years, :( that she made me feel nervous. She was the only teacher to hit me on the hand with the ruler, yet I was wasn't a naughty child at school, I don't think (mom said I was good), always wanting to please.

Paul.....You are almost correct about the outside toilets, they were knocked down just before or just after my sister Anne started school, which would have been around 1960/61ish....the wall which you can see behind the class photo's runs along Barton Street, if you followed the wall to the left as you look at it, that would have taken you to the girls loo, the boys toilets was to left of the girls toilets and up against wall of the house which again was in Barton Street, I know that they weren't there in 1964, because I used to scale the old girls toilet wall to get away from the caretaker (Mr Benbow) when ever he caught us playing football in the playground....Michael Faye, I wasn't to sure if it was Steven....his elder brother John is sitting to the right of the lad holding the football, and he is sitting left front on the cricket team photo, I am sitting on the far right holding the bat, and I am sitting far left on the football photo..., I think Steven Fowkes lived close to me, but not 100% sure, I can recall many of their faces......

Paul.....You are almost correct about the outside toilets, they were knocked down just before or just after my sister Anne started school, which would have been around 1960/61ish....the wall which you can see behind the class photo's runs along Barton Street, if you followed the wall to the left as you look at it, that would have taken you to the girls loo, the boys toilets was to left of the girls toilets and up against wall of the house which again was in Barton Street, I know that they weren't there in 1964, because I used to scale the old girls toilet wall to get away from the caretaker (Mr Benbow) when ever he caught us playing football in the playground....Michael Faye, I wasn't to sure if it was Steven....his elder brother John is sitting to the right of the lad holding the football, and he is sitting left front on the cricket team photo, I am sitting on the far right holding the bat, and I am sitting far left on the football photo..., I think Steven Fowkes lived close to me, but not 100% sure, I can recall many of their faces......
Steven lived in Barton Street I think, his Mother looked like Dusty Springfield, I remember the Fayes, I think they lived in Thomas Street, Hughie lived 1/68, Malcom lived at 68 Park Lane, I also used to bunk over the wall to go home, but at lunch time ran back to my Nans shop.

I think I am mixing up Steven Fowkes, with Steven Scattergood who lived in Clarendon Street .. The Fayes lived in Upper Sutton Street almost facing Abbeys the bakers...

I think I am mixing up Steven Fowkes, with Steven Scattergood who lived in Clarendon Street .. The Fayes lived in Upper Sutton Street almost facing Abbeys the bakers...
I'd forgot about the bakers, yes you are right, I can only remember the lodger that lived there, having a box of old photos have stirred the memory cells

I can see Jennifer Morris, Denis Lawrence, Sheila Wilson , Diane Hall, and was the teacher Miss/Mrs Rock ?...couple of years before my time....great photo Jane....

hi jane and welcome if you use the search box you will see that we already have a very long thread for burlington st schools under the schools section of the forum...i will get your post moved to there..

lyn
So sorry. I just joined this forum yesterday and I'm finding it quit complicated to follow at the moment. There does not seem to be any "help" facility to find out how it all works. I'm used to Facebook, twitter and other sites where it is, all very straight forward. Hopefully I will learn what's what without you having to tell me off again. Fingers crossed.

Hi Jane. I’ve now moved your post to this existing thread. Any further problems with searching, or any other difficulty, please contact a moderator. We’re willing to help. Regards Viv.

Hi,

My husband's great great aunt was Hannah Busby, born in 1880, who was a teacher at Burlington Street school.
There have been a couple of lovely posts made on this site about her:-

"Miss Busby had retired by the time I started school but she taught my sisters and brother and lived with her sister in Talford Street, the first house past the corner of Upper Webster and Talford Streets, she always spoke kindly to us children whether she had taught us or not".

"How l remember Burlington St School, happy days, l always enjoyed school never wanted to leave. l started in 1940 and left in 1950 Miss Busby was my first teacher such a dear she was".

Does anyone have any more information about or photos of her?
Many thanks
I remember Hannah Busby very well. I used to visit her every Wednesday afternoon for years. Her sister Myra was my Sunday School teacher at St. Mary's Church, Aston Brook. I remember Hannah used to give four pence to get some cakes every time I visited her. She had an upright floor-standing record playerand we liustened to som nay old 78 Records every time I visited her. When Myra died, Hannah invited my parents and I to see her laid out in the front room.

Any pictures of Mr jones ...i am sure my sister has some pictures of Mr Eastwood a very strict teacher, proper.

Does anyone remember a Miss James of Burlington Street, you had to go through her classroom to get to Mr.Burgess office and down some steps. Also Mr.George who used to take us for PE he was lovely.
I can remember the class room because you had to go through the class room and down the stairs to read a book to mr burgess and if you did well you had a cone of sweetie's I remember that.my name is Ron hurst I was a pupil at burlington street in 62 or63 we left upperwebster street in 66 we moved to litchfield them were the good old days. my brother fred hurst was at the same school and was my sister Janet hurst.

Hi Paul my name is Ron Hurst and I am on photo number 5 I am on the back row to the right on the end can you tell me wot year that was taken thank you .

paul do you remember me ron hurst im on the back row on the right and i think the thurd girl from the right on the front row is june underhill if i remember right.

Hi Ron.......I can recall you at Burlington Street, not your name but your face, you was in the same class as my sister Anne Colin, you are a couple of years younger than me....

Hi aston lad is your sister on the photo if so on wot row I can't recall the name. can you put names to anyone else on the photo I think i know some thank you aston lad look forward to talking to you again apresiate.

Ron....My sister is on photo's 2, 3 and 4, on photo 4 she is standing far right on the middle row with a tartan dress on , don't know any of the others names but do recall most faces ....

Back