• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burlington St Schools

Im sorry how they are posted Im new to posting on here as you can see I have put photo`s of Senior`s first with the Headmistress Miss Warren and the teachers that were there when I attended there.The second row of photo`s are mixed years where a member of my family are on there and then the Headmaster Mr Burgess and the teachers that were there when I attended Infants/Juniors ...hope you enjoy

wow tootz what a wonderful collection of school photos many thanks for sharing them with us...really hoping some of our members maybe able to put names to some of the faces of the pupils and the teachers...i went to lozells girls but we used burlington st for needlework..pottery and cookery and the only teacher i can remember the name of was miss orton (cookery) wonder if she is on any of the photos...

lyn

On the last photograph, could be my Late Sister in law Janet Overthrow, 1st. right on the second row, hope someone can confirm this and the date it was taken .

Senior School Teachers names that I can remember are front row left to right Miss Wills,Miss Guy,Miss Warren,Miss Lloyd Evans,Miss Jehu Back row is left Miss PJ Evans and far right Miss Hallett I cant remember the other 2 names.
Infant is a bit sketchy so I will just reel off who I can remember on there Mr Burgess,Miss Rock,Miss Dock,Miss Hardy,Mr Lovey,Mr Eastwood,Mr Keith,Mrs Wilcox then my mind is blank...Astoness I dont remember a Miss Orton...My cookery Teacher was Miss Lacey.

Yes that is Janet Overthrow we were in the same class,so sorry to hear she has passed away the date would be probably 1962/63

Thanks for that info tootz2, unfortunately Janet passed away in about 1984 very young wasn't it ? she had 2 daughters who are now both grown up, I tried to copy the pic to show her sister , but it didn't turn out.

st.evenlucy So sad about Janet,she was young,at school she was very quiet and very well mannered,I remember her so well,she was one of those people who when she smiled it lit up her face.Are you on facebook if so my name is Sheila Boyde add me and I will send you the photo xx

few more new ones folks...hope they bring back some memories..click on 3 times for full screen..

lyn

Attachments

• GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 003.JPG
    GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 003.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 80
  • GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 004.JPG
    GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 004.JPG
    614.2 KB · Views: 79
  • GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 005.JPG
    GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 005.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
yes he is there was Steven Raymond Martin Marie and Colin, there parents were Reg and Betty lived in Clarendon St

Hi Maz......I haven't had time to look for the photo's yet.....But I can tell you I remember Steven, he was a year below me at school we wasn't friends as friends go, but we did play together sometimes, I am not to sure about Raymond...., Your Dad told me and my friend off once for throwing a stone from the old bomb peck and smashing one of his windows or so he said....it probably just missed because his vermin wasn't that bad, just told us not to do it again.....

Hi Maz......I haven't had time to look for the photo's yet.....But I can tell you I remember Steven, he was a year below me at school we wasn't friends as friends go, but we did play together sometimes, I am not to sure about Raymond...., Your Dad told me and my friend off once for throwing a stone from the old bomb peck and smashing one of his windows or so he said....it probably just missed because his vermin wasn't that bad, just told us not to do it again.....
Thank you Aston Lad so much for letting me be privileged to one of the moments with my dad, its made me smile as that sounds just like my dad, but i agree you did get off lightly if you had, but that was the times were children could get told off. do you remember Joan and Charlie Harwood an had many children they lived (if i remember rightly) the first house on clarendon thank you again for your memorie

we lived in 19 burlington st 1n the 60s wood i was a bout 5 or 6 went to the school infants n juniors i do rmember a mr burgess and and what we called then miss hardy as others say she did have bright red lipstick dress smart dark hair .we left aston in 69 to move to ward end park rd love to hear from any one from aston /burlington st .mom n dad was frank .and dot

I was at Burlington St. from when I was 5 (I think it was 5 in those days, not 4, like now, but I could be wrong)...
so that would be September '64, and left in June '69 when we left Aston.

Teachers I remember.
Mr. Burgess of course.
Mr. Eastwood - (ex-army, I think, as I think mom had him too)
Mrs. Hardy (Dark hair- red lipstick I remember)
Mr. Stevens (was Welsh)

Classmates I would love to hear from if you read this, or anyone knows them..
Lois Willis born same day as me, exactly.. 26th June '59...
she lived, for a while, in Parliament St. 6 or 7 houses up from us (odd numbers)
Then her parents were landlords at the pub on the corner of Newtown Row (Waggon and Horses?)

Julie Scott- her mom (or mom and dad) had the off licence/sweet shop) on the corner of Talford St. and ?
us kids used to buy sweets and sit on the rounded corner step of the shop to eat them.

Steve Rigby - lived on Parliament St. and had a younger brother called Mark. We used to play together and it was me and Steve that saw burglars stealing trophy cups from a classroom (in the new block) of Burlington St. school. (Must have been school holidays, or a Saturday). We told our parents, and police were called and culprits found, I think.
Steve and Mark's uncle was Terence Rigby who was in Z Cars.

Roy Farnall - lived at the top/Park Lane end of Parliament St.

Kenny Dunbar

Paul Slater - Who later moved near us in Perry Common.

Anita Tustin?

Sifonessa Hassan

Deborah Harris

Gwendoline Taylor - also lived on Parliament St. I think.

Pamela Waile

Kitty ?

Michael Cox

Jaqueline Barlow

Malcolm Ordidge (Parliament St?)

thats just some that I remember for now..

wood/ we went to the school around the same time miss hardy was my teacher .we lived at 19 burlington st .wood frank dot sue don rob jim david chris

Woodj.......have you got a brother named Donald ?, ...if so I remember him and Peter Fletcher who lived either next door or close by, we all went to the same two schools Burlington and Upper Thomas Street.....

Hi Wood, I lived at 57 Burlington Street at the time and my son born January 1959 went to Burlington Street School, as I did. Steve & Mark Rigby are my cousin's children, they lived next door to Mrs. Griggs shop in Parliament Street. Anita Tustin would be the son of John Tustin who I went to school with, they also lived in Parliament Street.

Back