• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burlington Hall Aston

I used to attend the Lolipop Club at Burlington Hall on Fridays

Thanks for that little piece of history Postie, I couldn't read the last part, got down to the opening of the cellar as a youth club. Have you been reading the "Remember When?" articles in the Birmingham
Mail. 2lst, 28th January and 4th February. The club was opened well before that in the late 40s - I joined the Junior Section about 1947 and graduated to the "proper" youth club when I was in my teens. I had my letter printed 28th January. The cellar must have been an addition after I left.
I got married in 1957. I and my many friends spent many happy times there.

Hi Rod, I was just reading your post on the reccomended music page concerning Black Sabath. Well this is where they used to practice before they became Black Sabath.

Cheers Frantic........ I understood a local hall was used by them, but didn't make the connection with the Burlington Hall. We can add that into any other info we get.

I did an article for the main site on Burlington Hall about 3/4 years ago, don't know whether it is still there will have to check. Rod I gave some photos to either you or John Houghton to go with it, perhaps they could be included together with Postie's handbill.

Rpd, I have just had a look and the photos I mentioned have been included - thank you. I have got the originals, but it must have been John Houghton who copied them and gave me them back. With the main site out of action for quite a while I didn't realise they had been printed.

Sylvia the main site has never ever been out of action for more than a few hours? I know I didnt update for a while, but it was all still online? I think perhaps you might have been trying to use old links?

does anyone rember a youthclub run by the church ,it was by the barton arms pub in aston in the sixties.One year the church took us all to austria gothic terrace

The only youth club I can recall by the Bartons Arms was Burlington Hall, which I went to from about 7/8 years old to my teens, the only other place it might by would be the Gospel Hall on Park Lane just across the road from the Shareholders pub. Gospel Hall having moved from the other end of Park Lane when they redeveloped the area to make way for the Aston Expressway.

burlington hall

The only youth club I can recall by the Bartons Arms was Burlington Hall, which I went to from about 7/8 years old to my teens, the only other place it might by would be the Gospel Hall on Park Lane just across the road from the Shareholders pub. Gospel Hall having moved from the other end of Park Lane when they redeveloped the area to make way for the Aston Expressway.
Hello Syliva i didnt understand youre reply on my youth club query,until i found a site called astonmannor where you wrote about your time at burlington hall .Iwas there in1964onwards and rember youre memories of the snooker table,coffee bar and the downstairs cellar which had a jukebox.Also the thru passage and house that led on to park lane.It was Horrace who took us all to Austria that year.gothic terrace

(Unfortunately the image referred to in this post is no longer available).

Here's a picture of Burlington Hall,from the 60s i think.
Moss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the photo Moss, much as I remember it apart from the ground floor with the blue painted areas and the cream paint. Spent many, many happy hours there.

Thanks Moss for the picture,does anyone rember putting on panto for the old folks called jack and the bean stalk. gothic terrace

Some information about the early Burlington Hall. Viv.

Attachments

• 77546A57-A502-4BC6-ABB5-A472A1FB68B6.jpeg
    77546A57-A502-4BC6-ABB5-A472A1FB68B6.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 7BF9DD63-662D-4EA4-9892-B87F88E3FE4E.jpeg
    7BF9DD63-662D-4EA4-9892-B87F88E3FE4E.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 39
And later uses of the Hall. Viv.

Attachments

• 40B638B2-AAE7-4EB5-ABAF-B16F70091D82.jpeg
    40B638B2-AAE7-4EB5-ABAF-B16F70091D82.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 34