• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burley Benjamin Ship lists

karro

master brummie
I found what I believe is my great grandparents on a Ships List of the Polynesian sailing Sept 1889 to Canada. However the names of both my grandparents are unclear and under the ages of both it looks like an R is written. Does that mean something?
Also my grandfathers occupation states Farmer but he's an electroplater. Would there be a reason to put farmer?

Only their 3 children names and ages are clear and correct. Perhaps this isn't my family but it is the time that they came to Canada. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks Karro

The family name is Burley. It is Benjamin Burley & his wife Ellen, however the names ar unclear. The childern are John, Ben & Emma. It lloks as if there is an infant as well but the name is unclear.

Hi karo. Perhaps your great grandfather just wanted a change of profession; or it might be that 'farmers' were being offered grants of land, from the Canadian authorities??? This certainly happened elsewhere within the Empire; and such land-grants were quite common. It was a way of opening-up new, wilderness territories, to greater productivity. Members of my family did the same in Australia, NewZealand and South Africa; and although I have Canadian relatives too, I'm not sure if they emigrated on the same basis.

Hi John
I thinking about free land offers myself. It's difficult to know. As far as know he never worked as a farmer or recieved free land. They lived in a large city and he continued to work in his trade, plating. I was wondering about free passage. Perhaps there was some incentive for families saying they would become farmers?????
Is there any books or written material that someone can suggest??
Karro

Karo - it's a bit of a mystery then...perhaps, as you say, it might have been a cheaper passage for farmers at that time?

Thanks. I have seen the 1911 census. I'm quite certain that they arrived in 1889 because I found them in the City Directory from 1890 onwards. The information was gathered the year before printing.

You probably have this already but this is why i asked about Ellen:

Name: Lillian May Burley
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place:
Birth Date: 10 Mar 1896
Birthplace: Toronto, York, Ontario
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Benjamin Burley
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Ellen Skinner
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Name: Sarah Ann Burley
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place:
Birth Date: 23 Apr 1891
Birthplace: Toronto, York, Ontario
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Benjamin Burley
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Ellen Skinner
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

You probably have Benjamin's death certificate as well?
Benjamin Burley died 24 Jan 1922 in York, Toronto aged 48yrs and 7 months
Place of birth Birmingham Jun 23rd 1854
Trade or occupation: Silversmith
Name of father: John Burley
Name of informant: Ellen Burley 995 Bloor W, Wife
Place of burial : Prospect
Date of burial : 26 Jan 1922

Suzanne

I am looking for information on a family who sailed for NZ in 1873, in particular looking to view a copy of the original passenger list, not a transcribed copy which i have seen.

Would there be an authority in NZ i could contact, any ideas anyone?

thank you..

The family of William and Mary Philpott and their eight children came from Tysoe in Warwickshire.

They left the village on 13th Dec 1873 and travelled to Plymouth via Banbury, and onward to New Zealand via the M.V. Scimitar.

They settled in Invercargill which i believe is on South Island.

Neville..

Back