• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burial Plot Information - May Brooks may be listed as Mary Brookes, Key Hill Oct 1926

mrose1701

master brummie
I have been told that Ma(r)y Brook(e)s who died at the Raddlebarn Road Infirmary/Workhouse was buried in Key Hill Cemetry in October 1926.
Could anyone help me locate the final resting place of my wife's grandmother.

Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Burial Plot Information - May Brooks may be listed as Mary Brookes, Key Hill Oct

Hi, this is the entry for Key Hill - It is a sealed catacomb, although there are 2 memorials embedded in the brickwork - Have a pic on my PC - will try and load it up.

BROOKESMary 1926
G 6 (Catacomb) 53478

Brian

Re: Burial Plot Information - May Brooks may be listed as Mary Brookes, Key Hill Oct

Mary Brookes buried 1926 section G6 'catacomb' grave ref no 53478.

Brian may be able to pinpoint the actual catacomb when he has time. Sorry we posted together.

Sorry, System wants me to log in for Image Hosting and my weird password issued by the computer is in my emails, which won't open - seems like yahoo is on gl slow or something!
Will try again in the morning!
The catacombs at key Hill start at 12G on the very left and count down as you move to the right - ignoring the large bricked up one that was an entrance.

Hi Brian,
Many thanks for the info bud. I must get her indoors to accompany me to Key Hill and have a look - will there be any inscriptions on the catacomb to ensure we've got the right one?

Hi Wendy,
Many thanks to you and Key Hill Brian for the information - I am going to visit Key Hill with the wife and see if we can identify the catacomb in question. Hopefully we can find the right one and hoping there might be some inscription to identify the same - will keep you posted !!

thumb_KH_G6_Public_Vault.JPG

Here is G6 at Key Hill. Between the catacombs have been placed Blu Bricks with stencils on showing the Catacomb numbers and if it is Public or not.
There is a small memorial set into the brickwork, but the names are notyours - sorry.
The very left hand 'doorway is G12, than they descend in order as you move right.
There is a small soil bed in front. We have planted ferns between the catacombs, and some bulbs in front - feel free to plant up some more!
Brian

Brian, Many thanks for the pic - very interesting. Was unaware that catacombs existed in Key Hill Cemetery. Been past it on visits over the years to the Jewellery Quarter. May Brook's son was my father in law. He was unaware of who his mother and father were and was bought up in Father Hudson's Homes. Sadly in later life he lived in New Spring Street, Springhill - a five minute walk away. Sadly he never knew his mother was interred just over the road.

From an interest point of view Brian, How many people would normally be interred in each of the catacombs and what social classes would have been interred within? Were they reserved for the well to do or would commoners or paupers be interred within? Have never heard of catacombs in this country - only seen them in documentaries about Italy.

Both KH & WL have catacombs. The idea came from the Med area - Victorians coming back from the Grand Tour!
Although more expensive to build a brick 'storeroom' initially, it was cheaper in the long run for burials. You could inter 12 persons by just unlocking a glass dorr and popping the on the shelf! Had you purchased a family grave - you would have had to dig it out and fill it up again 12 times - a lot more manpower!
Although envisaged for families, the concept never really took off, although some were purchased privately. The majority were used for Public Interments - Ordinary working class people, who could not afford to purchase outrright a complete grave, so 'rented' or 'timeshared' a space with others.
Most Public catacombs contain 12 non related persons, although being down to earth brummies, I'm sure they have all got their back doors unlocked and get on fine - just as they did in life!

Shame your father in law never knew his roots - so close and yet so far.......

Both KH & WL have catacombs. The idea came from the Med area - Victorians coming back from the Grand Tour!
Although more expensive to build a brick 'storeroom' initially, it was cheaper in the long run for burials. You could inter 12 persons by just unlocking a glass dorr and popping the on the shelf! Had you purchased a family grave - you would have had to dig it out and fill it up again 12 times - a lot more manpower!
Although envisaged for families, the concept never really took off, although some were purchased privately. The majority were used for Public Interments - Ordinary working class people, who could not afford to purchase outrright a complete grave, so 'rented' or 'timeshared' a space with others.
Most Public catacombs contain 12 non related persons, although being down to earth brummies, I'm sure they have all got their back doors unlocked and get on fine - just as they did in life!

Shame your father in law never knew his roots - so close and yet so far.......
Hi Brian, Many thanks for educating me - have been exchanging info with an old mate of mine that used to work at the Birmingham Mint - when it was all in one piece !! Very interesting to learn about this cemetery. Will purchase some bulbs and go and plant a few with the missus when we visit Catacomb G6 and pay our respects to the grandmother that my wife and father in law never knew.

KH_Catacombs_G6_to_G12_28Right_to_left_with_access_doorway_between_G7___G829.JPG

Key Hill Catacombs G12 (left) to G6 (right) with bricked up access doorway between G8 & G7

Back