• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burbury Street

Hello

I used to live in Church Street which was right next to Burberry Street in the 60's. I remember going to Anglesley Street School and later to St Silas's School. Does anyone remember that school in St Silas Square?

fiona50

hi fiona..you and i were neighbours then as i lived in villa st from 58 to 72....both of your schools are still there...do you recall the bull family from church st...

lyn

I don't remember them. I can recall The Jury's or was it the Drury's. The Hope family, The Devines, The Jefferson's and The Khan's. My cousins ived at Brougham which is now gone and we used the Angel Pub and the Waterloo!

fiona50

hi fiona..i dont recall those names im afraid...there should be pics on the forum of the angel and the waterloo...the later is in a sorry state now..almost falling down..

My aunt Kitty Daley used to live at number io and the Ali's lived next door and over the Road was The Witney's.

fiona50

I think I spent half my chilhood playing soccer in Burbury Park. During the 50's and 60's it was a little bit of a stretch to call it a Park since at least 80% of the area was covered in either asphalt or red shale ..... but it was home away from home. Soccer games in those days lasted for hours on a weekend. Pick two sides, change ends when a team reached 20 and first to reach 40 won. ...... Then we would pick new teams again. If it rained we would all dash for the big shed that was built against a large factory which I believed was part of Lucas'. For those who played soccer there in those days, many will remember the huge tree you had to negotiate down the right wing when kicking towards he Burbury St. end. Happy Times and Great Memories !

Re: Burbury Street Lozells

Yes I remember Burbury Park and ow small t was. We always played kiss chase behind the old shed. There was only 3 swings and aI think 1 roundabout.

I remember the old bomb pecks by Nursery Road and we played there for hours.

fiona50

Here's a photograph off the Burbury Park thread. I have vivid memories of the park playing football and cricket. You can see the shed where we climbed on the roof and sheltered during those wet winter days, Mabz

Brilliant Mabz, we no doubt sheltered in there together at some time. funny i was thinking the other day about the Witches Hat ride can anyone confirm it was in Burbury St park . Max

Don,t remember a Witches Hat. Can only think of Swings, Roundabout, and another type of roundabout that you scooted round till it went really fast then jump on. Fell off there a few times !! Still got the scars. I always thought The Caretakers House was a bit creepy.

Max - I also can't remember a witches hat?

Topsy, the park-keeper's lodge is still there. Here are some photographs taken by Astoness on our visit to Burbury Street Park in 2008.

I used to climb-up the old oak tree by the parkies house when it was much smaller in the mid sixties and I removed a piece of it's bark on our visit as a childhood suvenier. I hope my love for that tree hasn't caused it any harm.................. Mabz

Hey Maxb I know you are going to point the finger at me for nit picking but I can,t see an oak tree.he he. Dek

Max - I also can't remember a witches hat?

Topsy, the park-keeper's lodge is still there. Here are some photographs taken by Astoness on our visit to Burbury Street Park in 2008.

I used to climb-up the old oak tree by the parkies house when it was much smaller in the mid sixties and I removed a piece of it's bark on our visit as a childhood suvenier. I hope my love for that tree hasn't caused it any harm.................. Mabz

I reacon Mabz the Witches hat must have been in Handsworth park then. It was a dangerous bit of kit, a roundabout that not only turned round but went side to side. (great pics from 2008 ) Max

Mayfield. Smashing pic of Parkies Lodge. I remember running past there coming from Playcentre at Farm St. Couldn,t wait till i had passed there.
I suppose it always seemed more creepy in the Dark Nights.

Max - I do remember a witches hat round-about, but I can't remember which park it was in? It might have been in Handsworth Park? I agree, they would meet health & safety regulations now.

Topsy - I wasn't frightened of the lodge, just the parkie. The old park-keeper was a tyrant. He was dressed in the traditional navy blue corporation uniform with a peaked cap and he more than let you know that he was in charge. A good old 'clip round the ear' was his speciality.......

I lived in Defford Road, directly opposite the main gates in the mid to late 60's and we lived in the park during those long summer school holidays only leaving when the parkie chased us out - even then we would climb over the metal railings and spend a few more silent moments out of sight of his lodge.

We used to play cricket, with the painted cricket stumps on the wall of the Lucas building in between the electrical sub-station and the shed. You couldn't call our games hi-tech but they were enjoyable and helped develop our sporting skills and social interaction. Something that is unfortunately missing these days with facebook and cyber games?

Dek - a tree's-a-tree when your falling out of it....... Thinking about it though, I don't recall any acorns breaking my fall. LOL Mabz

Well you and me Kieth are contempories, but unlike you i am losing it LOL. I certainly remember in Burbury st park Teds going "around the world" on the swings. I was so lucky to have a caring, loving mother that gave me total freedom, in exchange for honesty, i may have only been 7 or 8 years old when seeing this dangerous feat.
Ps Does any one remember my big mate Tommy Barrow, who lived opposite the park up to the end of the 60s. Max

PPS the rest of your post Kieth is so thought provoking, quite emotional, i never had problems with parkies or anyone else at that time, crazy really but you may remember that ( or not ) lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent hours also in The Park infact most kids in the area did .In the 60s we used to take the transister radio down of a Sunday to listen to the Top 20 if we could find a blade of grass to sit on.... Lozells Juniors School used to hold our Sports Day down there also .Very fond memories of the fun we had.... During the school Holidays one of our favourites was to wait til The Hooter went at Lucas , then the workers would all run out up Burbury St /Berners St/Lozells St To get to The no 8 bus stops. We would run in front of them and pretend they were chasing us (I was only about 11/12 at the time).

reposting....

dated 1964

BurburyStreet-30-9-1964.jpg

no 266..dated 1958

if memory serves me right i think one of these shops used to be owned by wendys family when they were bakers...the buildings are still there today...

BurburyStreetNo266-3-4-1958.jpg

My first ever barbers .My mom used to drop us of there and tell the barber short back and sides.Doesnt matter what he wants.The doctors surgery on the other end .had great fun in there when it was closed down not long after this picture .Had a classmate lyn jones who lived about four or five doors away from the barbers

Great to see these photos back on. I Can remember most of them very clearly.
mebmm... I also remember Lyn Jones and Larry Adams .

Back