• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burbury Street

sorry folks i have tried to upload johns cine film clips of burbury st but the files are too big for the forum...my son said there is no way of reducing these...

lyn
Can't you upload to Youtube again or Vimeo & put link here

no idea if that is possible now rob...you will have to wait for JKCORWALL to answer that question

lyn

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SORRY about music probably best to mute

I remember the premises being there, but cannot remember if, or what type of shop it was.

Peter,
There were many types of houses in the original street which ran from the junction with Gt. King St. to Lozells Rd.
They ranged from back houses at the bottom end (by Lucas's) to, what was known to us at the time, the "posh ones" at the top!
We lived in one of a block of houses owned by the dairy, which ran at the back. The front door led directly from the pavement into the front room, as you mention, with a small garden at the rear, but there were other different types of houses towards Lozells Rd,
As you are probably aware, the bottom half of the street disappeared due to redevelopment, but the original properties remain in what is left.
As to their state.............
I went to Anglesey St Infants School before being evacuated at the age of 7, and attended Gower St Sec. Mod on my return, ages 11
As discussed elsewhere on the forum, I remember Burbury St. School as being in Farm St.!!
There was no school in Burbury Street , you are referring to Farm Street schools which closed down in the late 1960's.

hi carol...always a bit of confusement with this but there was a school called burbury street school my dad went there but it was not strictly in burbury st...it ran alongside burbury street but the entrance was in farm st burbury st ran over farm st and ended at bridge st west... burbury st school later changed its name to harry lucas school..map below showing the school. as you know.the school i attended was farm st school yet the main entrance was in villa st :rolleyes: there was however a little gate in farm st that led to one of the play grounds so we would often use that..farm st school is also on the map below

lyn

Last edited:
Burbury St. Lozells.

Lived at 223 ,till I got married in 1959.
Moved there from Unett St. Hockley about 1936 (I was 4 years old at this time) Attended Anglesey St Infants 'till being evacuated in 1939.
Spent my last 3 years schooling at Gower St. Sec. Mod. (1943-46)
Anybody out there :?: :)
You a bit older than me , but i went to Anglesey st school till 1961 when i then went to harry lucas in farm st . I lived at 166 Anglesey st . You must have remembered Dr Smith in barr st or possibly smith st

hi carol...always a bit of confusement with this but there was a school called burbury street school my dad went there but it was not strictly in burbury st...it ran alongside burbury street but the entrance was in farm st burbury st ran over farm st and ended at bridge st west... burbury st school later changed its name to harry lucas school..map below showing the school. as you know.the school i attended was farm st school yet the main entrance was in villa st :rolleyes: there was however a little gate in farm st that led to one of the play grounds so we would often use that..farm st school is also on the map below

lyn

Your 100% correct , it was originally called burbury st which us where i started in 55/56 when i was around 5 . I spent a few years there then moved to Anglesey st school till i was 11 . I then spent 4 years at was was the called harry lucas , why the name changed is beyond me . My older sister told me that when she went to burbury st school , the headmaster was Mr Margerison who ruled it with a rod if iron

Your 100% correct , it was originally called burbury st which us where i started in 55/56 when i was around 5 . I spent a few years there then moved to Anglesey st school till i was 11 . I then spent 4 years at was was the called harry lucas , why the name changed is beyond me . My older sister told me that when she went to burbury st school , the headmaster was Mr Margerison who ruled it with a rod if iron
We were told - boys should never even consider wearing jeans an under no circumstances should girls use shampoo

Please does anyone have photographs of Burbury Street in or around 1871. I am interested in the Davis family who lived at number 13. Thank you.

Please does anyone have photographs of Burbury Street in or around 1871. I am interested in the Davis family who lived at number 13. Thank you.
hi lynn and welcome....sorry to say you would have to very lucky to find a photo that old i certainly do not have one but never say never

lyn

Last edited:
Hi my dads family lived in Burbury st Lozells...Minnie and Bill Leighton...Three kids Betty,Margaret and Brian...dad thinks it was around 1942 ish and the Vickers family does anyone knw info please

I have merged two threads into this one so there may be earlier unseen posts.

A 21st birthday for Constance Johnson. Viv.
E5C9F5CC-6C67-4BB3-9489-1FDDEDCB1FCD.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back