• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burbury street school

Pat Prestleton

proper brummie kid
Hello, I'm new to the group but read with interest some of the posts about Burbury St school.
I went to that school in 1948 until approx 1952. The headmaster then was Mr Margerison (think that's how you spell it )
and the first class teacher was Miss Butterfield. It is now known as the Harry Lucas school. Farm Street school was much further up by the junction with Villa St. I lived in Hunters Vale Hockley. Sorry if all these things have already been said, but it is lovely to hear them. Pat.

hello pat and welcome...my dad went to burbury st school but that would have been from about 1934 to 39...he also lived in hunters vale but in the original old houses with courts..they were then demolished due to constant flooding of the brook and the new maisonettes built approx 1938 i think... and his mom and dad were offered one of those but on the villa st side next to hockley brook..am i correct in assuming you also lived in the maisonettes? or did you start off in the old houses...i am moving this thread to the schools section of the forum..

lyn

Last edited:
Hello Lyn thank you so much for your reply. Yes I did live in a house in Hunters Vale number 31 but it was one of five double fronted houses that had quite big gardens they were opposite to the maisonettes. I'm not too hot with computers so if my messages take a while it's not that I'm not interested just can't understand the technology. The brook must have been altered when they were building the maisonettes because there was such a big drop but I do remember the smell in the summer sometimes. Thanks again Pat

hi pat no worries...take your time...the brook has not altered it still has that large drop to it..i grew up at 118 villa st so attended farm st school and everytime i walked home past the brook i just had to have a look at it through the gap in the red fire door..very often after heavy rain the water would rise almost to the top and yes i also recall the smell..you may not have seen this thread about gothic cottages hunters vale if not just click on the link below to take you to it...what years were you living at no 31 ?

lyn

Last edited:
Hello Lyn, I also used to look through that gap in the door in Villa St, I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it, used to make my tummy go over when the water was low and the drop looked even worse. I was born in the Vale in January 1943
and lived there until 1956 when the houses were due to be demolished and we moved into Burbury St my Mother must have been pregnant with me when the bombs were dropped. I used to play on the bomb sites as a child. Do you know what year Rex Nicholls was built ? I lived two doors away from the factory I think that may have put paid to any access to the cottages .
I do remember my Mom and my Nan talk about the cottages but I was too small to take much notice but I do know that if there had been any access to them I would have been there seen them and probably played there. Remember though that I would not have played out on the street until about 1948 when I started school. Hope this was helpful. Pat

hi pat sorry i dont now when rex nicholls was built but as i said earlier my dad born 1929 his parents and 5 younger siblings all lived in hunters vale from at least 1935 ...they lived on the same side as your family at court 1 house no 2..moving from there round about 1938 into one of the new maisonettes...they stayed there until 1948 when sadly dads mom died young of TB...6 months later his dad took up with another women(usually in those days to look after the children while he went to work) but he died a few months after that also of TB...your family must have known our dads parents....it really is a small world...

lyn

Went to this school from 1949 to 1954 .Lived in Lennox st . Sad to leave when we moved to new council estate in Rubery. Any one remember me . John Flowers

Back