• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burbury Street School

Brummie girl, I too was a prefect but had my badge taken off me for kissing the builders...

Did you go to Brockleton?

I had two brothers Mabz and both went to Harry Lucas. My elder brother David would have been there a year or two earlier than Phillip (whose reports are the one's I found).

Hi ,Jules are your brothers david and philip dauncey .If so i was in the same form as david from 1962 -1966 .I have organised a couple of reunions for harry lucas in the past .Hopefully will try and organise one for this year .Please pass on my regards ,Nickname at school spud

Yes Carolynn I did go to Bockleton what an adventure It was for us townies I think it was in 1957 I went and it was the first time I'd seen a cow. I do belive some Birmingham children still go to this day.

Brummiegirl - we must know each other from our earlier life. You can go online and look at Brockleton - yes it still going. My grandson is actually called Henry Lucas Dunlop which did come from the name of Harry Lucas as we were just talking about our school days when she was pregnant and she just said I like that name - who would have thought it.

I attended Harry Lucas from 1965 to 1968 before migrating to Weston-super-Mare with my parents (still here).

I never heard of it being called Burbury Street. In fact it was in Farm Street, but not so far from Burbury Street.

The Headmaster was Mr Walker (inevitably "Johnny Walker").

Harry Lucas was a Secondary school. Maybe there was a junior school in Burbury Street, I don't remember.

A picture of the school would be most appreciated.

there were 2 schools in farm st , one on the corner of villa st & the other near the corner of burbery st it backed from farm st to bridge st west, the 1a Boys Brigade had their friday night Drill there, I was one of them

Burbury steet school and Harry Lucas are he same ,It was a junior and infant till 1959 .Then changed to a senior school Harry Lucas which was closed in 1969 .Yes the 1a boys brigade used the school .I was one of them. Till 1967 when they had the New peoples chapel built .

burbury street school junior/infant hockley

hi john welcome to the forum...our dad also went to burbury st school later to become harry lucas...always looking for any photos of the school...if you have any would love to see them...

all the best

lyn

hi michael was at burbury street from 1946 till 1952 lived in ventnor road which was close to school you said you thought you remembered my name it is john mills have looked for bobby harrison whose dad had an electrical shop in gt king street found one reference but have lost it friends who lived in the area were john mosedale donny pitt peter whiston barbara edwards can anyone put me in touch with them

hi michael was at burbury street from 1946 till 1952 lived in ventnor road which was close to school you said you thought you remembered my name it is john mills have looked for bobby harrison whose dad had an electrical shop in gt king street found one reference but have lost it friends who lived in the area were john mosedale donny pitt peter whiston barbara edwards can anyone put me in touch with them

Sorry can't be of any help as I was at Burbury St from 52 until it changed to Harry Lucas in 1957 then I left there in 1962 the only name I recall is Barbara Edwards but that's it.

My late Mom went to Burbury st school in the 1930s. I have her 1939 School report. Similar condition to yours i would say. Her class teacher was S.P.???????. Head teacher looks like M. LOCKE. Maybe they knew one another.

My late Mom went to Burbury st school in the 1930s. I have her 1939 School report. Similar condition to yours i would say. Her class teacher was S.P.???????. Head teacher looks like M. LOCKE. Maybe they knew one another.
sorry ocker i was at burbury street between 1946 to 1952 my sisters were there about that time they were jean and june mills

hello ocker my late dad would also have been there in 1939 so maybe he knew your mom....he only lived round the corner from the school in villa street

lyn

G'day Lyn. Thank you for replying. My Mom was 14 years old in 1939. Her name was IRENE BARNES. She would be amazed at this internet stuff if she had lived to see it, how with a little digging you can find all sorts of past histories of people & friends. It was very nice to have contact with you. Regards, Carl in Australia.

John, we must have been at Burbury Street at the same time. What names do you remember? These are some of the ones I think I can remember: Sheila Parker; Steve? Twambly, Rose someone, Alan Shepherd?, David? Eccles, Roy Fox, a girl that all the boys loved who lived the other side of Hockley Brook, a girl who lived at the top of Guildford Street. Mr Warriner made me sit by a girl form making blots - first time the girl from the other side of Hockley Brook - great until she nudged me every time I tried to write. Then the second time next to Sheila Parker - she was nice.

Michael I think I remember Sheila parker other names I can think of are Sheila guppy john mosedale and I new Mr Warriner Mr marjerrison was head I think might think of a few more but will watch for any more news

Hi there, my dad Derek Astle went to Burbury Street. He was born in 1940 so I guess he would have started there in 1945/46? I've attached a picture of him aged about 10. I'd be pleased to hear from anyone that knew him - especially if you have any photos you'd be happy to share. Regards, Geoff.

Attachments

• IMG_20170226_0001.jpg
    IMG_20170226_0001.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi Lyn, thank you - I'll take a look at that. I'm taken a fresh interest in my family history (hence the posting) as my dad died at the end of January :(. No I'm afraid I don't have any relatives that I know of living in Guildford. Thanks for getting in touch. Geoff.

hi geoff sorry to hear about your dad i lost mine in 2013 dad was born in 1929 and also attended burbury st school...this forum is a great way to start if you are interested in family history and history of birmingham...the only reason i asked if you had family that used to live in guildford st now long gone is because there was a whole family of astles apart from the dad who was most likely away fighting (8 in total) including children that died at 4/142 guildford st as a result of ww2 bombings so maybe during your family research you may make a connection with them...just for your info here are the names and ages of those who sadly died and their names will be engraved on the tree of life memorial in the city centre to honour all of the civilians who died in birmingham during WW2

Name Aged Injured on Injured at Died On Died At
Astle, David 7 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells
Astle, George 10 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells
Astle, Horace 9 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells
Astle, Leah 36 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells
Astle, Maureen 2 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells
Astle, Raymond 8 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells
Astle, Susannah 62 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells
Astle, Thomas 10 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford Street, Lozells 01/11/1940 4/142 Guildford

lyn

Last edited:
Your dad would probably have been in the year before me. I am sorry I don't recognise him from the picture; we would have had about 30 in a class. I am always amazed at how few people from the school go on line and how few photographs there are. The Harry Lucas School had little in common; different teachers and secondary rather than primary and junior. Even on the old Friends Reunited there were hardly any people from Burbury St School. I guess I would have passed your dad quite often in the playground.

Hi Lyn, thanks, sorry I misunderstood - I thought you meant Guilford in Surrey. Yes, absolutely, those people listed on the War Memorial are my direct ancestors. I have pictures of them including Maureen who died so young. I don't live in Birmingham any more but I often visit the Memorial to pay my respects. Thank you for taking the time to post your message - I really appreciated it.

Thanks Michael. I appreciate your message. I did try and go on Friends Reunited but I hadn't appreciated that it closed down in 2016 - that's the end of an era - I guess Facebook now occupies that space.

Hi Lyn, thanks, sorry I misunderstood - I thought you meant Guilford in Surrey. Yes, absolutely, those people listed on the War Memorial are my direct ancestors. I have pictures of them including Maureen who died so young. I don't live in Birmingham any more but I often visit the Memorial to pay my respects. Thank you for taking the time to post your message - I really appreciated it.

hi geoff as astle is not or was not a very common name i had a strange feeling that those who died in guildford st were rellies of yours...such a sad loss and i dont know how they coped with it it all...nice to know that you visit the memorial in birmingham..i have 2 rellies on it...if you are interested i have posted lots of photos of guildford st on the forum taken before the street was demolished..any problems finding them give me a shout...

lyn

Oh wow Lyn, you're a great person to have discovered! Thank you! I will go see if I can find those - I'm still trying to find my way around the forum but each photo I click on at the moment tells me I need to log in (and I am!). I'm sure I'll get it sorted. Thank you again.

geoff i have now bought the guildford st thread to the main page under streets and neighbours...can you please note that some of the images are not visible due to the forum being hacked about 4 years ago..we lost about 66000 images..slowly and where possible members are trying to repost them..i have just looked through the guildford st thread and its a mess:eek: i have reposted a few photos but not all of them so later on i will make a start in trying to tidy it up and repost more photos..ps try clicking on stay logged in..if you have anymore problems let us know

lyn

Back