• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

burbury st park

mabz it was pic 3 was the one i was unsure of..was hoping you would know...

cheers

Last edited:
brilliant phil thanks...can see the parkies house bottom left which is still there.part of the lucas works running across the bottom ..maybe not much of a park as such but it was good enough for us...pretty sure the two end properties of gordon st were shops...used to get sweets from one of them think it was the one on the right end of the street...happy days:)

lyn

Lyn posted this on jump to. Came across this map showing Burbery Park. Lots of trees back then. I can recall some trees but mostly, besides swings etc a large area of sand which according to Library it was belived to be the first all weather park. I know from email via Central Library it was officially opened 1/12/1877. I lived in Clifford St just up from Burbery St. No sign of houses then. My gran lived in Clifford St 1901.

As regards Gordon St. My now wife lived just up Burbery St from the shop. I used to call in an house close to the other end to the shop, facing a small park entrance, the old lady used to drag me out as it was an house of well what shall we say ladies- so she reckoned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200803-171335_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200803-171335_Chrome.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the photo, brings back some memories. Now if you look at the school (white building annex to Lozells Girls) then down from that is a wall separating the back of Defford Place houses from the backs of Burbery street. About half way down is where I fell off the wall to lower side of Burbery St. From that was fractured skull resulting in a long stay at convelesant home in Malvern. In my email to Central Library I mentioned that was the first time I saw so much grass, pigs, chickens etc. Also how as kids we could play out late (mostly until pub chucking out time) being perfectly safe. Their reply was about the park all weather surface.

Cheeky now. Do you happen to have pic about 1 inch to the left (Anglesey St as I lived right at the start of one the places shown)

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo, brings back some memories. Now if you look at the school (white building annex to Lozells Girls) then down from that is a wall separating the back of Defford Place houses from the backs of Burbery street. About half way down is where I fell off the wall to lower side of Burbery St. From that was fractured skull resulting in a long stay at convelesant home in Malvern. In my email to Central Library I mentioned that was the first time I saw so much grass, pigs, chickens etc. Also how as kids we could play out late (mostly until pub chucking out time) being perfectly safe. Their reply was about the park all weather surface.

Cheeky now. Do you happen to have pic about 1 inch to the left (Anglesey St as I lived right at the start of one the places shown)
I will have a look through the aerial views but meanwhile there is an interesting photo (2nd pic in the post) looking down Anglesey Street in the post linked below if you have not already seen it ... :)

nice aerial shot phil you are getting close to my house now ..the white school annexe building top of the photo is in gerrard st and was used by my school lozells girls for various subjects..opposite the annexe is waste ground at the corner of burbury st and is where a block of maisonettes were built and they still remain there today...just about

lyn

Thanks. That's later from when I was there. Reckon left about 1964/5 Parenrs a bit later. It was between Nursery Rd and Guthrie? St. Pretty much in-line with Clifford St.

Yep they built another annexe next to it. I think from the front of Defford Place bedroom window you could look at the girls - not that I did of course. Wife informs the house she lived in Burbery St caught fire around mid 60's so they had to leave.

Corner of Burbury Park bottom right with Anglesey Street running up the centre of the view from Guthrie Street to Lozells Road at the top. Date 1950.
AngleseySt.jpg
cropped part of a 'britainfromabove' image

great phil looks like the no 8 bus going past the sally army in nursery road...phil i am sending you a pm...

lyn

Thank you! If the black vehicle was 2 houses down it would have been outside our house which formed part of the alley way leading to Prospect Place.

Its said my mother only joined the Sally Army so she could have a hat.

As Lyn says re maisonettes. Was that a bomb peck? If so another what 50 yds down would be Defford Place gone and possibly either my parents or grandparents with it (parents exchanged houses from Wilton St sometime in the war but post 1942)

ray i believe that yes i think the waste land where the maisonettes were built was a result of bomb damage..

lyn

Thanks lyn.
Can anyone recall the name of the grove/place opposite the Sally Army by the phone box. Wife's mate down there was Mary mine Dennis.

ray so save going off topic there is a thread for nursery road surprised you have not seen it as you have been a members for many years let me know if you cant find it...any road up i will post just this one of the grove you mentioned taken in 1964..our dad used to clean all the windows...without looking at my maps i cant recall the name of it but ive used that phone box a few times :D :D

lyn

Nursery Road - Hockley - 25-10-1964.jpg

Back