• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bulpitt and Sons Birmingham

:angel: Mr Dolly they may not be pretty, but they are extremely interesting.
I once worked as a Telephonist/Receptionist at A.D.Hayes they were on one of the corners (can't remember which corner) at 18/19 Caroline St around 1963 ish, they were Screw, Nuts, Bolts and Nail Manufacturers and had a big factory out at Stourbridge, that I believe is still there.
Those pic's are a great record of our history and which as you in Brum (and surrounding areas) keep saying is fast disappearing.

About 'Pic' 1 post #33
Argent Centre
This is one of the most impressive and attractive buildings in
the Jewellery Quarter. With its colourful Italian style in black, red and
white brick it is a notable landmark. The building was constructed in 1863
for W.E.Wiley, manufacturers of gold pens.

(This is before 'Mr Dolly's' Pic was taken)

Last edited:
Hi Dolly
Nice Collection Of Photographs,
Brought Back Some Memories Indeed
Did You Not Come Across The Old Firestation
Around The Corner On Albion Street ,
And Did You Not Come Across The Famous
[ Fattorie ] The Famous Enamal Metal Badges
Factory
When I Was Ayoung Man In My Youth
I Worked In Most Of Those Old Building,
Whom Was Electro Plating , And Anodiesers
They Was Often Ran By Small Bussiness Men
With Tight Budgets And You Had To Do The Hours
To Earn A Decent Wage,
You Have Got To Admit The Council Have Done
A Tremdous Transformation Of The Jewlery Qaurter
But I Think They Should Have Left It
To Show Our Tourist How In Days Gone Bye
Of Our History And Heritage Of Our Gold Smiths Alley
Especialy Around The Back Streets
Knowing What I Know Of The Scene Now
I Personal Think There Is Alot Of Cowboys Up There Now
I Cannot Knock The Shops They Are Smart
And Drawing The Crowds To The Quarter
But Behind The Scenes Is A Different Story
Have A Nice Day , Astonian ;;;;;;;;

Fantastic photos Dolly, i felt like i was walking around on my lunchbreak too ! I used to work at Folium Press on Caroline Street for 10 years, they've shut up shop now think they're somewhere in Minworth. :biggrin:

They remind me of my childhood days about twenty years ago....(
028.gif
)

i was waiting to photograph FATTORINIS but there was a big lorry parked right outside and he wernt going to move ,will do it later as there were some bits i missed

remembered i got it on the way back,yet another senior moment

How sad, what a dreary picture of a place that was once clean and thriving, the only new things are the do's and don'ts of the highway painted roads.

Bulpitts

I remember the factory but more so Mrs Bulpit.
In the mid 60's I worked as trainee ladies hairdresser at a shop named Pot Pouri, which was in Caltorpe Road Five Ways opposite the clock.
Mrs Bulpit came in regularly ,and being the senior trainee I was picked to wash her hair.She gave me a tip of £1.00 for washing her hair,nearly a weeks wage for a trainee.
Then she wanted me to colour her hair,for which she tipped me £5.00,
which was lot of money back then.
She was a lovely lady,very friendly and would often chat about various things.I remember she always wore a fur coat.If I remember correctly she was american.She always had a smile on her face and always made time to talk to you.
A real lovely lady.

I worked at Bulpitt's in 1963/64 in the spinning shop. My mother who also worked there got me the job, she worked there as a power press operator and had been there since the war at least, and she retired from there in the 80's. I can remember Maurice Bulpitt and his brother Billy Bulpitt. I met Maurice many years later when I was working near his house in George Rd, Edgbaston. We had a little chat reminicing about the old times,till his nurse moved me on. I think Billy lived in Lady Byron Lane, Solihull.
In the 2 years I was there I had some good times, I can remember looking out over the ice rink and watching a man sitting on top of a pole trying to get into the Guiness book of records for the longest duration, can't remember if he did it though. I reached my 18th birthday at the time and to celebrate my legally going into a pub, a few of us went in to the Summerhill Tavern next to Bulpitts, a good time was had by all.
I have attached a couple of photos, one is of a group of us in the spinning shop, and the other is of my mother in the press shop during the 1953 coronation.

Hanco

Re: Bullpitts

Does anybody remember John Maguire who worked at Bulpitts up until 1985 when he passed away ,i am his son Lee and would be very intrested in contacting anybody who new my father.

Interesting picture of Carver Street. I served my apprenticeship at number 35, Reynolds and Bradwell, electrical engineers until 1955

Hello Alf, I worked at Bulpitts one bank holiday in either 1953 or 1954. We had to make it electrically safe after part of the factory was destroyed by fire. I did a bit of salvage work and presented my mother with a fine set of "fire damaged" saucepans

Wilmott-Breedons biggest factory was in Speedwell Rd, Tyseley, they were the main supplier to the Automobile industry of car door locks, bumpers and associated products, they were not in competion with J.Lucas who were a much bigger group, as the road name suggests their factory was built over a well and they used the water in their factory, in WW2 when the water mains were blown in the blitz they put a pipe through the railings and people were able to get water from it when it came your turn in the queue, Moulinex was French company who took over "Swan" brand, Bulpitts factory.

I remember Bulpits, but for some reason Mom always had SWAN Brand where was their factory :-\

My Dad, Geoff Lewis worked for Swan in the 70's I think it was. The site was always known as Bullpitts, even after the original site was levelled. Strange! Anyway, was the St. George works opposite what is now an NHS building(called B1) part of the same company? I think my dad said it was at some point?

My dad only just today bought me a copy of the Bullpitts magazine. He took most of the photo's in the brochure, and told me many stories of how amazing the place was. I wish it was still there for me to explore!!!!

Yes the company was Swan, and they were quite versatile. The old kettle works is still standing and derelict opposite what is now the NHS B1 site. I really must get in there and get some photo's of the old presses that are still in there.

Frontcover.jpg

Platedparts.jpg

Finishingplant2.jpg

Finishingplant1.jpg

Mappage.jpg

hi virusman...so thats where you get your love of photography from...good luck with your next venture....

astoness

hi virusman...so thats where you get your love of photography from...good luck with your next venture....

astoness

Guilty as charged!! My Dad was quite the photographer, and only in the last 2 years or so have I got my hands on the kit to let me experiment in digital like he used to with film. Can't wait to get out there and explore some more of Brum, the little bundle of joy has held me back for a while!!!

i am sure you will make up for lost time....keep us posted and stay safe....

astoness

Hello, yes I remember Bulpitt's. I worked in the office there. A wonderful company to work for. The building still stands, although absolutely derilect and sad to see.

I now live in Cambridge but I go back to Brum every year and always go and have a look at Bulpitt's. It is on the corner of Pope Street and Icknield Street.

My father worked at Stoddards on the corner of Icknield Street and Carver Street, and as we lived in Moreton Street, neither of us had far to go to work.

Maggs. I am a newbie.

Back