• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bulpitt and Sons Birmingham

Those of us who have a long history behind us will remember most of the Swan products and innovation inherent in them. The electric kettle and iron were two of their notable creations which made live more easy for women. Of course not all could afford them or had the facilities to support them.
It is good to know that the brand name still exists, so much of the cities history has disappeared.

Swan kettles and irons were made to last too. I think we had some passed on to us when later models came in. Mother was a widow, so she could not have afforded new ones. British Sound Reproducers (BSR) acquired Bulpitts in 1971and Goblin vacuum cleaners and Teasmades. Some Teasmades were rebadged as Swan. We were given a metal one when plastic came in. But Mother and I never really took to it. Some people must like them as Teasmades are still sold by Swan. In 1989 Swan was sold to Moulinex.

The company history, like that of most UK manufacturing is complex. Swan is now managed by the Sutton Venture Group (SVG) 'Sutton Venture Group is privately owned by the Sutton Family and has a portfolio of trading companies with offices in Stoke-on-Trent, Hong Kong and mainland China' http://www.svgroup.co.uk/

Last edited:
Back