• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bulls Head, Wharf Street

P

Possumtops

Not long returned from Oz where history is a shallow dish and have discovered I come from a line of publicans here.

I'm trying to locate and find details on the Bulls Head which was at 37, Wharf Street, Birmingham. The earliest record I have found of it is 1807 I have located records of it from 1807 to 1881 so far. I haven't determined if it was at Wharf steet Aston or Hockley. Can any Brummies assist?

Possumtops

Hi Possumtops

Could it be the Wharf St that used to run off Bridge St & Holliday St close to Broad Street. I see in another post you mention it was in St Thomas's Ward.

I will stand correcting but I think this was the only Wharf St in that Ward. I'm sorry I have no information on the pub, but this little bit of information might make your search easier.

Phil

The Bulls Head was at 37 Wharf street off Suffolk St, which is the one Phil mentioned. Landlords of the bulls Head in directories were:
1880 John Kilby
1883 Peter Steede
In 1884 the pub has disappeared with the beginning of construction of the Midland Railway goods depot. Part of Wharf st became part of Holliday st, and a few of the houses are still there in about 1890 , marked in pink on the OS map. These however are on the opposite side of the road. The approximate position of the pub is shown in blue on the 1839 map.
I assume from your post you have details of the landlords pre 1880 . If not I can have a look forn them in earlier directories.
mike

Many thanks Mike - most impressed. I should now have enough leads to find a tad more.

Hard to comprehend the changes made to the area over the decades - no wonder I hit a research wall.

Cheers

Possumtops

Mike would it be possible for you to post a slightly larger area of the map showing Old Wharf & Broad St? Was your map really dated 1839 or did it show the area unchanged from 1839? My Gx3 Grandfather lived at Old Wharf & worked as a labourer in 1841. Whilse he may well have worked unloading coal, I would like to know if there may have been factories close by so that I can be aware of other possibilities.

Back