• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bulls Head, Hatchett Street

Bloodette

proper brummie kid
Hi.
Would anyone have any information about a pub called The Bulls Head in Hatchett Street?
My 3x g/grandfather is listed in the 1871 census as living there with his family, but as a “beer retailer” rather than landlord or licensed victualler. I have managed to find a few photos but that’s all.
Many thanks

Hello Bloodette, Welcome to the forum, it might help if you tell us your 3x g/grandfather's name and the number of Hatchet Street you think the Bulls Head was at.
In the 1867 Post Office Directory it shows 'beer retailers at Hatchet st

No. 19 Reeves Isaac
No. 32 Caldecutt Edwin
No. 59 Perrins Henry

Yes, my 3x g/grandfather was Isaac Reeves!! Oh wow!
So I’m guessing it must have been more like an off-licence? Did they have C19th off-licences I wonder?

and to go with that info bloodette although you have probably seen it on the hatchett st thread here is a photo of the bulls head

lynhatchett st bulls head pub.jpg

Hi, yes I have seen the picture, but thank you!
And thank-you RobT, I was so excited to read your reply I forgot to express my thanks!
I’ve re-checked the census and it is showing as number 19 Hatchet Street “The Bulls Head”, so that ties up completely!

Yes, my 3x g/grandfather was Isaac Reeves!! Oh wow!
So I’m guessing it must have been more like an off-licence? Did they have C19th off-licences I wonder?
The B'ham Daily Post of 8th August 1873 reports that the license for the beerhouse Bull's Head on Hatchett Street was transferred from Isaac Reeves to Geo. Carless.

thats great and at least you have a few photos of the houses in hatchett st during demolision...scenes that your 3x gt grandad would have been familiar with

lyn

thats great and at least you have a few photos of the houses in hatchett st during demolision...scenes that your 3x gt grandad would have been familiar with

lyn
Absolutely, and also my own Grandmother (other side of the family) was born at 84 Hatchet Street in 1897, so it would also have been familiar to her, and the two families would no doubt have known each other!

From the 1867 Post Office Directory notes
hatchet st 1867 notes.PNGhatchet st 1867 notes con't.PNG
and from the 1889 map, Hatchet street is horizontal, with New Town Row vertically right.
No 1 Court is bottom right, so around 19 houses to the left would be No 19 beer retailer,
Chapel can be seen top right.
Hopefully Mikejee, will be able to accurately position this for you.

hatchet st.PNG

Last edited:
no 21 in yellow so 19 to the right of that looking at my photo there does not seem to be a house next to the pub unless it was demolished...hopefully when mike gets back tomorrow he can confirm

hatchett st map showing no 21 in yellow.jpg

Oh this is fantastic, thank you so much!
The Post Office Directory, is this published annually and could I access this privately? It would be interesting to see when Issac took over the Bulls Head, as he was widowed (my 3xg/g Agness) and re-married in 1866, to a widow, Ann Bayliss. Would be interesting to see if the Bulls Head was previously occupied by Ann and her previous husband.
Also, would Hatchet Street have looked like this in 1897, and if so I’m guessing number 84 would have been more or less opposite the pub?

To add another titbit, as seen from the cutting from the Birmingham post 18.7.1972, he was fined for being "delinquent " and opening suring divine service.
You should note that the year of directories is the publication year, and would normally be expected to refer to the year before. The 1862 corporation directory gives Richard Heath as landlord at no 19. No Isaac Reeves is listed in this directory.

Birm post.18.7.1972.jpg

- delinquent publican!! . He sounds a right one!! Thank you so much for this tidbit - it all helps to build a picture of this seemingly colourful character!!

Back