• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bulls Head Birchfield

Simon68

master brummie
Hi everyone,

Yet again I have a Birmingham token to show you all, this time the Bulls Head Birchfield with a great depiction of an early billiards token.

Attachments

• 3AFB5FE1-7900-4CE3-B700-C0DB1A37B4AB.jpeg
    3AFB5FE1-7900-4CE3-B700-C0DB1A37B4AB.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 1A121591-03E6-42A8-A3D2-0977191077CE.jpeg
    1A121591-03E6-42A8-A3D2-0977191077CE.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
nice one simon...if its the bulls head birchfield road this is what the pub looks like today...its a mini mosque...i used to play against the bulls head in my dart playing days

lyn

Hi everyone,

Yet again I have a Birmingham token to show you all, this time the Bulls Head Birchfield with a great depiction of an early billiards token.

As always my tokens are available for purchase.

Regards

Simon the Suffolk Token Dealer
Hello Simon68 I used to drink with an elderly gentleman who used to go straight into the Bulls head after work , this was he told me in the 60's when he used there . He told me this tale in the 90's , the long and short of it is , his good lady was getting pretty tired of him coming home late for his dinner. So much so that she marched up Park Lane with his dinner on a tray plonked it on a table in front of him , looking up from the tray his only response was "Where's the salt " I couldn't hold up for laughing when he told me .

S Twist is listed in directories as being a billiard table maker at 40½ St Paul's Square in the 1880s. It must be a billiard table that is the image on the token. Newspaper adverts list him in 1886 as at 196 New John St. West; No mention of Broad St. However the 1861 Corporation directory gives an advert for James Perrin (late S.Twist) at 37 Broad St. So the later one must be his son. The whites directory of 1855 liats Twist & Morris , cabinet, billiard and bagatelle makers at 133 Broad St Islington, though the PO directory 1855 lists William Morris, billiard table manufacturer & cabinet maker at that address. The PO directory of 1849 gives no mention, however /whites 1849 directory lists at 1 Broad St, Samuel Twist. , billiard table manufacturer and sole inventor of the circular ended, slate bottomed, bagatelle table. So it therefore looks like the token dates from between the breakup of the partnership in 1855 and around 1860 when the business is in the hands of James Perrin. Not sure what thta has to do with the Bulls Head though :rolleyes:

ScreenHunter 5808.jpgBirm. Journal.. 25.8.1855.jpg

Looking further at directories. Charles Bartlam is listed as the Licensee of the Bulls Head, Birchfield in both the 1855 PO directory and the 1862 Corporation directory, so he would have been the landlord at the time of the token, eb]ven accepting that dates were publication dates, not survey dates for the directory

Hi Mike, I suspect the tie in with the Bulls Head is that they obviously had one of Twists billiard bagatelle tables, so the token acts as an advertisement for both businesses?
Regards
Simon

Back