• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bullring pub

HI STEVE C
Yes i most certainly do know the family very well;indeed ;
also the nest pub and most of it well known characters that frequented the nest and all the other surroundig pubs n the area
and most of other publicans personaly not just for useding there pubs as a punter alot of them took in my barrre,s the people i have barred from variuos pubs i have run ;in my past history ;
as i have left brum i went into club lands around the country and settled in the country my self ;
i only pop into brum as i have only one other bussiness in the kings rd area of tysely and i do not bother with the pubs now
and i call into my daughters whom liveds by the birmingham air port and she keeps me informed or phil lynch my barber is well up dated with the gaffers of most of the pubs and he fills me in i was sorry to hear of it being a mosque but i surpose it was expected
steve did you do ay pub work your self as i know of a couple of lads called steve whom was in the bussiness in years gone bye ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Astonian,No I never did any bar work back then, although I was doing a bit in my local British Legion until recently.I used to drink in The Nest often, along with my best pals (Boyle family, Jimmy,John, Jason, Mable etc...) Also drank in the Emerald, The Gables, The White Lion, The Crossed Guns and the Malt Shovel, as well as regular visits to the Gary Owen, The Kerry Man, The Dublliner, Big Bull and O.C's. And P.J's for the brief period it was open.When John (Junior) left the Nest and took on the Sportsman on Garrison Lane I drank in there until he passed away, Lost touch in last couple of years with Rose and Big John Mc. Saw Siobhan about 18 months ago along with Liam who suffered severe Brian damage and is now not in very good health (He was however drinking Guiness through a straw in the Kerry Man! )Also drank occaisionally in The Carpenters Arms when Liam was running it.

John

I don't think this is the one you are looking for is it?

Attachments

• Nechells Mitre PH.jpg
    Nechells Mitre PH.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 42
Hi Does anyone remember the name of a pub that was in the old bull ring around the late 90's, I think it was near St. Martins Church at the top of a ramp, I'm failry sure that below the ramp was 'Oswald Baily' camping store. May have been an Irish pub.RegardsSteve[/QUOTE

Was it the Toreador?

the Toreador was near to the old Midland Red Bus Station opposite the bingo hall. if memory serves me correct

The Toreador and he Market Pub opposite the markets. Looking at the car models I'd say it was the late seventies.

The Market Pub.jpg

Hi There my friend the pub at the top of the ramp was called the Blarney stone and owned by liam oconnor along with the kery man and many more he as got orielys on aston cross which you be the golden cross pub

thanks for that photo BB you have posted quite a few new to me ones today

cheers

lyn

Astonian, hope this photograph brings back happy memories.

22489678_10214650556363394_4450760009246572729_n.jpg

HI Barr Beacon thanks for the picture and for the memories of my yester years many thanks happy new year to you
Astonian;;;;;

Back