• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bullring pub

Steve.c

knowlegable brummie
Hi Does anyone remember the name of a pub that was in the old bull ring around the late 90's, I think it was near St. Martins Church at the top of a ramp, I'm failry sure that below the ramp was 'Oswald Baily' camping store. May have been an Irish pub.RegardsSteve

Hi Does anyone remember the name of a pub that was in the old bull ring around the late 90's, I think it was near St. Martins Church at the top of a ramp, I'm failry sure that below the ramp was 'Oswald Baily' camping store. May have been an Irish pub.RegardsSteve[/QUOTE

Was it the Toreador?

hi steve i would have to double check but i think it was the matador...and if memory serves me right just round the corner from it on ground level was the mulberry bush pub..

lyn

Last edited:
hi steve i would have to double check but i think it was the matador...and if memory serves me right just round the corner from it on ground level was the mulberry bush pub..

lyn

The Mulberry Bush was under the Rotunda Lyn

thanks froth...i was just a little bit out on the location on that one then..think i only went in the mulberry a couple of times...

lyn

I'm getting my Bullfighters mixed up. It was the Matador
mat.jpg

The Matedor at the top of the ramp above Oswald Baileys next door to the Witzy Doo restaurant and the entrance to the shopping centre. I always found it a strange pub with most of the first floor being taken up by the staircase up to the second floor, a lot like the other pub at the other end of the shopping centre the Wandering Minstrel. I don't think a lot of thought went into any of that generation of pubs in the Bull Ring.

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Witzy Do 1962.jpg
    City Bull Ring Witzy Do 1962.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 73
HI FROTHY
Yes you are quite correct it was up the ramp along side of the st martins church in the middle of the bull ring ;
and my old dutchess held the licence there and i ran it with her for a period before parting with the management over a disagreement

but the pub was a irish theme pub ; and it was called the blarney stone ; and previously it was the materdor and licence resturant and on the night of the grand pening we had big jack charlton and alan towers from the BBC Sports anouncer and he brought along a commediun we charged 25 per head on the door on the night and they qued right up the bull ring to get in and they paid the money for a night with big jack;
and it was an all nighter lock in he stayed at the hotel on broad street went he wnt home at five thirty in the morning he drank the lot dry before going
the pub was last known before this a the materdor and a resturant and the story there was rennay and renarter was a gay couple the one left the other one and the other one hung himself down the cellar and thats when its change the name and owners ; during my stay there we had a friend of a friend
whom was a DJ On the radio and my long term friend is a mr big on the BBC AND HE SENT HIM ALONG TO ME To help him out
as he had a morning slot at the beeb ; and he asked me to suply a prize every day at the blarney up stairs in the resturant and i was giving out lunches
for a prize when you rang is show and answered questions on the hstory of the bull ring if you was correct the prizes was a bottle of wine and a meal for two at miday ;which we done ; my wife and our barmaid whom is also well known irsh family known whom we employed came towork for us in many of our pubs we used to run had there picture taken privately with big jack charlton in the blarney stone ;in the bull ring best wishes to you all astonian;;

Last edited by a moderator:
Was The Toreador down the back across from the rag market, by where all the busses stopped, think it was by one of the entrances to the bull ring market? It would have been below The Matedor sort of

Was The Toreador down the back across from the rag market, by where all the busses stopped, think it was by one of the entrances to the bull ring market? It would have been below The Matedor sort of

Yes it was dwilly I remember now. It had a special market licence

Hi dwilly ;
yes it was it was facing the old rag market along the rd where they eventualy moved all the bus stops at one time years ago
and there was an entrance to enter the indoor market that was run by a lady whom stood no nonsence and we nicked her
barman by coming to work for us he also worked at the australian bar he did good worker great character if you know what i mean he enterained the customers in more ways than oneby dancing with the customers
and around the corner at the stage door pub was gerry whom owned the pub and his lady friend at the time was a family friend whom lived in small heath whom yet again we know very well inded for many years goinng back in time looked after it for him by being the licencee
it as been some years bac we are talking and i know gerry at one time was thinking of moving out and selling it off
which i beleiv i was told by one of our other friends
good family ; hard working and honest ; best wishes astonian;

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 60's a good friend of mine knew a barman at The Matador. I met my pal in there a few times, but it wasn't really 'my' sort of pub. It didn't really have any atmosphere. One evening I met my friend and hung my brand new corduroy over-coat on the hooks by the door, and when we got up to leave, surprise! surprise! my coat had gone. Fortunately there was nothing in the pockets, but it was a cold night and that was the last time I bothered going into The Matador. There was something about the 'old' Bull Ring that always put me off a bit - too much concrete for my liking.

G

My favorites were The Mulberry Bush and the Tavern we were so lucky not to be there when they were bombed. I remember the Toreador and the Gilded Cage miss spent youth...

Hi wendy ;
just like you in my youth i spent my miss youth days in the gilded gage good pub itwas then nice surrounding i was working in the blarney up the bull ring ramp ;when it went off ;and people came and told us and the police
to be on the look out and by golly i did i ever trusted nobody , even today i do not i have never dropped my guard
and even today they should be on there guard and look out for any think suspicious
as the guy on police five used to say keep them peeled

I used to frequent the Gilded Cage in the late 'ish seventies with an old boyfriend..but only on match days and just for a couple of swift halves...then we would head off to the Supporters Club for another swift one (or two) before the match..never went in again after that relationship ended..

Am i right in thinking Lindyloo you were a bluenose like me ??? :fat:
sorry ........... bit off topic hehehe ragga :fat:

Thanks for the info Astonian, thats really intersting!Did/do you by any chance know the McCarron family, they had a couple of pubs around Birmingham, one being 'The Nest' in small heath (formally the New inns) I believe it is now a mosque or somalian internet cafe thing.

HI STEVE C
Yes i most certainly do know the family very well;indeed ;
also the nest pub and most of it well known characters that frequented the nest and all the other surroundig pubs n the area
and most of other publicans personaly not just for useding there pubs as a punter alot of them took in my barrre,s the people i have barred from variuos pubs i have run ;in my past history ;
as i have left brum i went into club lands around the country and settled in the country my self ;
i only pop into brum as i have only one other bussiness in the kings rd area of tysely and i do not bother with the pubs now
and i call into my daughters whom liveds by the birmingham air port and she keeps me informed or phil lynch my barber is well up dated with the gaffers of most of the pubs and he fills me in i was sorry to hear of it being a mosque but i surpose it was expected
steve did you do ay pub work your self as i know of a couple of lads called steve whom was in the bussiness in years gone bye ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Astonian,No I never did any bar work back then, although I was doing a bit in my local British Legion until recently.I used to drink in The Nest often, along with my best pals (Boyle family, Jimmy,John, Jason, Mable etc...) Also drank in the Emerald, The Gables, The White Lion, The Crossed Guns and the Malt Shovel, as well as regular visits to the Gary Owen, The Kerry Man, The Dublliner, Big Bull and O.C's. And P.J's for the brief period it was open.When John (Junior) left the Nest and took on the Sportsman on Garrison Lane I drank in there until he passed away, Lost touch in last couple of years with Rose and Big John Mc. Saw Siobhan about 18 months ago along with Liam who suffered severe Brian damage and is now not in very good health (He was however drinking Guiness through a straw in the Kerry Man! )Also drank occaisionally in The Carpenters Arms when Liam was running it.

John

I don't think this is the one you are looking for is it?

Attachments

• Nechells Mitre PH.jpg
    Nechells Mitre PH.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 42
Hi Does anyone remember the name of a pub that was in the old bull ring around the late 90's, I think it was near St. Martins Church at the top of a ramp, I'm failry sure that below the ramp was 'Oswald Baily' camping store. May have been an Irish pub.RegardsSteve[/QUOTE

Was it the Toreador?

the Toreador was near to the old Midland Red Bus Station opposite the bingo hall. if memory serves me correct

The Toreador and he Market Pub opposite the markets. Looking at the car models I'd say it was the late seventies.

The Market Pub.jpg

Hi There my friend the pub at the top of the ramp was called the Blarney stone and owned by liam oconnor along with the kery man and many more he as got orielys on aston cross which you be the golden cross pub

Back