• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Buller - Family (handsworth/soho Hill)

Maria Buller

proper brummie kid
Hello All - new to the forum.

I am desperately trying to trace my fathers family from before I was born in 1964.

I was brought up a 3 Poplar Place, Soho Hill (I think this was behind a factory (still exists) but of course Poplar Place does not now exist. I went to St Francis School. Any pictures of Poplar Place would be very welcome - I recall a couple of families - Gail & Christopher Beresford and Yvonne (next door)

My father was with a lady called Elizabeth Cattermole, they had 3 children together. Elizabeth died in 1957. My father went on to meet my mother and had 4 more children - he died in 1972.

hi maria and welcome to the forum...am i right in thinking you are trying to trace the 3 children your father had with elizabeth cattermole??...hopefully someone may read this thread and recognise her name if so and you have any information that may help maria could you please contact her via our private message system (inbox at the top right of the page) as these persons may still be living

thanks

lyn

hi maria and welcome to the forum...am i right in thinking you are trying to trace the 3 children your father had with elizabeth cattermole??...hopefully someone may read this thread and recognise her name if so and you have any information that may help maria could you please contact her via our private message system (inbox at the top right of the page) as these persons may still be living

thanks

lyn
Thanks lyn. Actually any information about Elizabeth and Fred would be helpful. I had heard that Elizabeth was in a wheelchair for a time before she died. They lived on New Spring Street, Handsworth.

Started out in James Turner St; then to New Spring Street; Stafford Road and then Poplar Place before moving away from Handsworth in 1970.

On the electoral rolls after the war there are two Elizabeth Cattermoles listed, but one was at 58 New Spring St till 1957. (the other also incidentally disappearing after 1957). Before the war there is only the other Elizabeth , listed at several addresses back to 1920. From 1945 till 1957 she was with Frederick A Buller. In 1945 and 1947 a couple of other names (neither Bullers or Cattermoles) were also listed.

There is no Frederick A Buller listed in the rolls for Birmingham before the war, though there is an Arthur Frederick Buller, but I can see no reason to think he has altered his name in this way .

Note : online rolls offer only a Selection (1945,1947,1950,1952,1955,1960,1965 post war)

Elizabeth Cattermole died in 1957 Birmingham age 39.
Birth Lily Buller mother Cattermole Dec 1945 birmingham

Last edited:
On the electoral rolls after the war there are two Elizabeth Cattermoles listed, but one was at 58 New Spring St till 1957. (the other also incidentally disappearing after 1957). Before the war there is only the other Elizabeth , listed at several addresses back to 1920. From 1945 till 1957 she was with Frederick A Buller. In 1945 and 1947 a couple of other names (neither Bullers or Cattermoles) were also listed.

There is no Frederick A Buller listed in the rolls for Birmingham before the war, though there is an Arthur Frederick Buller, but I can see no reason to think he has altered his name in this way .

Note : online rolls offer only a Selection (1945,1947,1950,1952,1955,1960,1965 post war)
This sounds promising. Can you send me links to the data? Thank you

There is a family tree for Frederick Arthur Buller on Ancestry, his death has his birth as 1919 there is no reg. for him in 1919, the family tree has his birth as Birmingham 2oth Feb 1920 and this is what the registration has also tree has his death 1972 birmingham
He married in 1942 to Marie Myers, the tree includes a photo of him.

Last edited:
Interesting as according to Mike in #5 he was with Elizabeth from 1945. Marie Buller (Myers) died in 1997 in London and the marriage was in Surrey - something is not right here. I found a marriage in 1964 of Frederick Buller to Ann O'Brien which I thought was the right one until I saw your post.
Janice

Interesting as according to Mike in #5 he was with Elizabeth from 1945. Marie Buller (Myers) died in 1997 in London and the marriage was in Surrey - something is not right here. I found a marriage in 1964 of Frederick Buller to Ann O'Brien which I thought was the right one until I saw your post.
Janice
Ann OBrien is my mother. But I too am confused by Marie Myers the birth date for my father and the marriage date are consistent.

Are you on Ancestry? Can you see the photo on the tree Alberta found? A second look at this tree seems to indicate he was married twice (there is Marie listed and a second "spouse" who I cannot see as it is "private" (usually indicates alive but could mean no facts listed).
Janice

Last edited:
Maria, the only way to check if the marriage to Marie Myers was your father is to order marriage certificate, give the criteria that the grooms father must be Walter, that will save you paying for
an incorrect one.
He was possibly stationed in the area of Wandsworth during the war and entered into one of the many wartime weddings which ended when the war did, it probably ended in divorce, his marriage to your mother will give you his marital status.There do not appear to be any Buller/Myles children.
I am sending you a private message because there are other names in their lives and the people are still living. Alberta

Last edited:
Going back to your original question. I can't find a birth for Elizabeth Cattermole in 1918 but there is a marriage of Elizabeth Bushe to an Albert Cattermole in 1942. There is a birth in 1949 of an Elizabeth Cattermole with Mother's maiden name Bush. There is also a birth of a Lily Buller with Mother's maiden name as Cattermole in 1945. I didn't see any other possible births.
Janice

I have a copy of Paradise Lost (just read it, though bought it in 1957!), and it is inscribed in handwriting James W. Buller, Handworth, 1912. Interesting if one of his descendents reads this. Could send a copy of inscription if wanted. Terry.

thanks

lyn
Hi Lyn - any old pictures of Popla Place, Soho Hill would be helpful

I replied to Maria Buller back in May, Elizabeth Cattermole was my grandmother on my mom's side, I do so want to trace a photo of her but alas, no one seems to have one.

if mikejee sees this post he may have a map showing where poplar place soho hill was

lyn

Back