• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull.

Snowball

master brummie
Can anyone with a magic wand please assist. I am looking for a family that included Beatrice(?) Bull, whose address was, I think, 4 back of 13, Lawford Street, Vauxhall Road. I know that there are two streets/roads in the address but that's how the information was presented. Those two street/roads actually intersect on my 1905 Ordenance Survey Map so it might be that the address is on the corner ?

The Bull family or possibly Beatrice on her own, lived here sometime between 1896 and 1907. The family might be shown with a child from a different family, probably a girl. Alright people, go do your magic with this one !!!

Regards, Snowball.

Re: A story of Bull.

Snowball
Beatrice wasn't at that address in the 1901 census. The occupants were a richard, nellie and george Wright. George and Nellie being young children. There was a bull family on the street at no 36
James 47 coal carter
Susannah 45 steel pen maker
George 24 Wood sawyer
Susanah 18 steel pen maker
Daisy 14 steel pen maker
James 11
Alfred 9
She could have been away, or perhaps she was assocating with Mr Wright, but didn't want it put down anywhere
Mike

Another thing. At the 1901 census, the name of the road had just been changed from railway terrace, presumably because there was another road named that in nechells. I expect previously they had put it as “ Railway terrace, Vauxhall rd” to distinguish it, and still did it with the new name. You comment on the OS map. I presume this is the alan godfrey map. This was originally the 1905 survey, but then altered and a new edition brought out in 1912. It looks like Lawford st was one of the alterations and houses were removed by the Victorian equivalent of cut and paste (that is sticking a bit of paper over bits that have altered.), So the houses that don’t seem to be there in that map must have gone sometime about 1905-1912. You can see them on the 1890 map attached. On the 1901 census there are a long series of houses one after another with first the street no, then “back of”, so I would guess that back of no 13 would be one of those marked in red. Any other position and it would be a court or terrace .
M ike

map_c_1890_showing_railway_terrace2C_later_lawford_st.jpg

Hi there Mikejee, every now and then a chance comment or remark helps to make that elusive breakthrough that we all crave. I had hit a brick wall with one particular ancestor and I spent countless hours researching a distant relative, with absolutely no success. And then along comes mikejee, and hey presto, his helpful comments have provided me with an enormous lift in my spirits and a new series of avenues to explore. When I mentioned the address as being Lawford Street never in my wildest dreams had I considered that it might have suffered a name change. The original address I was researching was Railway Terrace and I have had all sorts of problems trying to connect people from Railway Terrace to Lawson Road, I'm now quite certain that these two are one and the same.

Thanks a million for the help, :):):):)

Snowball.

Back