• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Street

Yes Ly, I know, but others have such a wealth of knowledge, far beyond mine, so when I can contribute it makes me feel a little less selfish! Shortie

Hello Mikejee, Thank you so much for all that information - I think there is a connection with my Haywards as the elder William is the father of my gt.grandmother, Elizabeth who married Henry Blackham - you may not rememver but I have been looking for a Hayward -? accountant and my gt.aunt Emily Blackham for years - this family of Haywards would have been wealthy enough to have educated their children well so perhaps this where the connection is. So I have quite a lot of work to do now!!
Mike I can't thank you enough and all from a photo.
Do you know anywhere I could buy a copy of the photo.
Sheri

Another map, 1900 Baedeker

Attachments

• birmingham city centre.jpg
    birmingham city centre.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
The old picture post#1 has been on here before and I think it is one of the great links to the past here and gives us an insight to then. At the bottom of Croocked Lane was a building that housed Cadbury's first factory and have wondered where abouts it was. The old coloured map post #8 is super and shows a very old layout that is quite different from the later map. It looks like some of the cherry orchard still remained at that point and I wonder which building was Cadbury's. Also notable is the fact that Union Passage does not appear on this map but does on the later one...from New Street to Bull Street and split by the later Martineau Street...no more. I remember the last of Croocked Lane and getting off the tram there and walking down Union Passage to New Street. Never thought anything about it then but it was there. Actually the top part of the Lane was called Lower Cherry Street I think and looks like it might have become a section of Corporation Street when it was put through. What a major development and upset to the area Corporation Street must have been back then. The Cadbury's confectionary shop was in Bull Street up by Temple Row somewhere but the factory is only known to be at the bottom of Croocked Lane and Bull Street somewhere.
The old map may not be accurate to scale but if you look at Cannon Street which is shown as a major road; you can get an impression of how close and cramped the rest must have been. We all know that Cannon Street is pretty narrow still.

lower bull st 1886..on the left is the old lamb house c 1600 as you can see it was badly damaged wen the previous owner mr pole hung 16 oxon to front bressumer as a christmas show..the tall building further up bull st is newbury store on the corner of corporation st..

img670.jpg

bull st dated 1975

img671.jpg

Blimey Lyn, I thought you'd mis-typed " bressumer" but I Googled it and now I know what it means. Ain't yow clever!

I looked it up too, thought you had made up a new word Lyn lol!
What a good comparison but essentailly it hasn't changed so much, justthe loss of the lovely buildings.
Sue

There are two people standing on the higher level of the building just above left of the poster on the wall. Maybe Mr Pole ? Or had he long gone? Yes, I had to look up bresummer - nice one Lyn! Viv.

Would anyone believe me if I said that I knew the meaning of a bresummer without looking it up. Being in my trade trade it is was a word we often came across.

Phil

Nice photo's again bab.Looking at the 1866 one,I'm sure that the four story building just down from the right corner was the "Faltstaff" pub.We have spoken before of gravity pulls well that was one.The barrells had to be hauled to the top floor.

They did'nt over-do roof trusses in the old days did they. I think that extreme bottom left is the entrance of Crooked Lane onto the High St./Bull St. junction.

Thanks - very interesting about the proprietor John Suffield, he must have been quite a character - and Tolkien's grandfather too!

The Old Engine House, Bull Street, another old building cleared by the 1875 Corporation Street Improvement Scheme. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328086056.992175.jpg

Back