• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Street

smashing map viv..thank you for posting it...i am going through some old mags and books looked for crooked lane pics..
lyn

Last edited:
I think you might like this little gem Lyn. It's from the E. Edwards' 1877 Personal Recollections of Birmingham and Birmingham Men. I love these documents. They hold so much information. This is Bull Street as it was in 1840. Hopefully it uploads in a way that can be enlarged, otherwise I'll load it in sections. Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328278503.296166.jpg

This 1886 photo taken from High Street adds a little more to Stitchers earlier photo in post # 22. It shows Lamb House/Suffields on the left corner. The building (Reece tobacconist etc) to the right must be where Matineau Sq now stands. Looks like it was a key shopping area at the time. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328351199.631433.jpg

This is the sort of idealised world I remember portrayed on boxes of Quality Street. However not Quality Street, but a view of Cadbury's in Bull Street. The Cadbury's occupied #93 (tea & coffee dealers). Therre was a B H Cadbury also in Bull Street #92 further along, a linen and silk mercer. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328622229.805817.jpg

Might have been on a Christmas box of chocolates...a cheery scene. I always thought that the location on Bull St was up by Temple Row. Around where Greys used to be.

Yes Rupert on the 1840 print in post #38 it puts the premises up towards the top end of Bull Street (but can't be sure if this is where Greys was later on as it looks a bit further down to me). It also mentions the cocoa factory in Crooked Lane. Viv.

This is the sort of idealised world I remember portrayed on boxes of Quality Street. However not Quality Street, but a view of Cadbury's in Bull Street. The Cadbury's occupied #93 (tea & coffee dealers). Therre was a B H Cadbury also in Bull Street #92 further along, a linen and silk mercer. Viv.

On the 1851 Census there is a Richard Barrow, Tea Dealer at 93 Bull Street, I wonder if he was the Barrow that opened 'Barrow's Stores' later, I think it was at the top of Bull Street when I remember it.

Also I think the Cadbury's and Barrows were connected by marriage - John Cadbury (b.1801) was married (his 2nd marriage) to Candia Barrow in 1832. No doubt securing the 2 family's future. Viv.

This is a good Phyllis Nicklin 1960 photo of Simpson's Fishmongers in Bull Street (est. 1790). I also like the old Boots the Chemist sign to the left and the Singer sewing shop to the right. Must have been in there a few times. Note also the gondola bag the lady us carrying! VivImageUploadedByTapatalk1328632678.926291.jpg

I only remember Barrows Stores being in Corporation Street.

Hopefully you'll just about be able to see this comparison sketch of Bull Street in 1840 and 1924 - after Corporation Street was cut through. Barrows is on Bull Street but I think it was re-built or maybe it took more premises along that stretch into Corpn Street? Or they could have just simply moved premises of course! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328633982.233708.jpg

Looking down Bull St from Corporation St 1961.

Terry

Attachments

• img004 (Medium).jpg
    img004 (Medium).jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 94
I was thinking that Barrows had great jam doughnuts but it was Wimbushes. Can't think what Barrows sold now. Super montage comparrison Viv. That locates the Cadbury store for sure.

Thank you for those plans Viv. I see the position of Barrows in Bull Street in 1924. However I remember Barrows in Corporation Street in the 1960s being probably opposite where Rackhams is today. I used to go in their cafe quite regularly when I worked in town.

Judy

Rupert, Apart from the usual groceries Barrows also sold some exotic produce in those days. I can remember buying some Chocolate covered Red Ants that looked like truffles, to take to a party.

Judy

Looking down Bull St from Corporation St 1961.

Terry

Great view Terry, you can see Simpson's Fishmongers and Boots etc as in the Phyllis Nicklin photo a year erlier.

Jayell, those ants sound interesting! Viv.

My first job was at Barrows in 1963 - the main shoppers entrance was in Corporation St but, I think at that time, the entrance in Bull St was for goods only - Barrows had all different food departments - Greengrocery, Cheese, Meats, Bakery etc - but the main thing I remember is the smell of the Coffee - I think people came from miles around to buy it there.
I remember too when Mandy Rice Davies visited somewhere in Bull St - it was at the height of the Profumo affair and there was a massive crowd.

Another Phyllis Nicklin 1960 view from the bottom of Bull Street ( to the left) and Dale End (to the right). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328645776.908770.jpg

I think you might like this little gem Lyn. It's from the E. Edwards' 1877 Personal Recollections of Birmingham and Birmingham Men. I love these documents. They hold so much information. This is Bull Street as it was in 1840. Hopefully it uploads in a way that can be enlarged, otherwise I'll load it in sections. Viv

View attachment 73240

Thank you for posting this wonderful picture Viv, it prompted me to go back to the census of 1881 in my files, where one of my ancestors, Thomas Pedlingham, was recorded as a Draper's Assistant at 101 + 102 Bull Street. I had often wondered whereabouts in Bull Street this would have been.
The 1881 records George Norwood as the Drapers Manager, but of course there is no shop name listed.
In the Kelly's Directory for 1883, 101+102 is listed next to Union Passage as Crockford, Grove & Sons, Linen Drapers &c. which corresponds number wise with the 1840 picture
Could anyone tell me if it was Crockford & Grove in 1881 please ? and also if Union Passage would have been roughly where KFC is today

Lindy loo
Can't help with 1881, but in 1880 & 1882 it is Crockford & Grove, without the Sons

Thanks Mike :) you are a star !! I doubt it would have changed just for a year..
Did you have any thoughts about the position of where Union Passage would have been in relation to today's shops ?
Kind Regards Lindyloo

Can someone tell me if I am losing my memory please. I seem to remember Henry's department store being in High Street.

I think your marbles are intact maggs, Henry's was at 59, 60 + 61 High Street according to the Kelly's of 1940

EDIT..think Im losing mine..I could have sworn your post said marbles not memory !!..where's my glasses ??

I think your marbles are intact maggs, Henry's was at 59, 60 + 61 High Street according to the Kelly's of 1940

Thank you Lindyloo. I remember it being there right into the 1960's. I have still got some lovely Christmas tree decorations that same from there.

You can do it yourself Lind. Click on the link below and look at it together with Google Earth...the streets are still in the same place New St. at the bottom and junction with Corporation St at bottom left corner. You can see that Union Passage runs from New St. by the side of Warwick House to Bull St. Broken when Martineau was put in as stated on the Crooked Lane thread. Martineau is gone now.

Link..https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=1902&oy=1518&zm=1&czm=1&x=397&y=120

Mike is cleaver at doing overlays on GE. Anyway if you dont have GE maybe an aerial shot can be posted. GE is free but don't know how well it works without broad band...if you don't have that.

Your memory is fine Maggs,I couldn't remember where Henrys was and I had my first pair of long trousers from there when aged about twelve.

ray ive posted a pic of henrys on the old street pics thread..well what was left of it...

lyn

A photo of a drawing of the original shop frontage of the Barrows Store on Bull St and a photo that shows the location of the store taken some years later.

Phil

Attachments

• City Bull St Barrows.JPG
    City Bull St Barrows.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 83
  • City Bull St toward Dale End.jpg
    City Bull St toward Dale End.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 103
I don't know the date of this photo, but the name of the store here is Crockford, Gove & Sons. You can see Union Passage on the left of the photo and also a photo of that section of the passage taken in 1907.

Phil

Attachments

• City Union Passage 1907.jpg
    City Union Passage 1907.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 64
  • City Bull St Crockford & Sons.jpg
    City Bull St Crockford & Sons.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 66
Back