• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
lower bull st 1886..on the left is the old lamb house c 1600 as you can see it was badly damaged wen the previous owner mr pole hung 16 oxon to front bressumer as a christmas show..the tall building further up bull st is newbury store on the corner of corporation st..

bull st dated 1975

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Blimey Lyn, I thought you'd mis-typed " bressumer" but I Googled it and now I know what it means. Ain't yow clever!

sistersue61

master brummie
I looked it up too, thought you had made up a new word Lyn lol!
What a good comparison but essentailly it hasn't changed so much, justthe loss of the lovely buildings.
Sue

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are two people standing on the higher level of the building just above left of the poster on the wall. Maybe Mr Pole ? Or had he long gone? Yes, I had to look up bresummer - nice one Lyn! Viv.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
well spotted viv i didnt notice those 2 men..yes mr pole had gone by then...

Phil

Retired Layabout
Would anyone believe me if I said that I knew the meaning of a bresummer without looking it up. Being in my trade trade it is was a word we often came across.

Phil

Ray Barrett

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Nice photo's again bab.Looking at the 1866 one,I'm sure that the four story building just down from the right corner was the "Faltstaff" pub.We have spoken before of gravity pulls well that was one.The barrells had to be hauled to the top floor.

Rupert

master brummie
They did'nt over-do roof trusses in the old days did they. I think that extreme bottom left is the entrance of Crooked Lane onto the High St./Bull St. junction.

A Sparks

master brummie
Thanks - very interesting about the proprietor John Suffield, he must have been quite a character - and Tolkien's grandfather too!

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Old Engine House, Bull Street, another old building cleared by the 1875 Corporation Street Improvement Scheme. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328086056.992175.jpg

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
smashing viv..another great image thats gives us an insight into how the city centre once looked...

lyn

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes you realise that Bull Street goes back a long, long way. Wonder if anyone knows what the Engine House was for? There's a little picture on the second gable of the building but can't make out what it is. Viv

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you enlarge the picture you can just see on the top "John richards, licensed victualer", and on another board- "lodgings for singles only". Can't find a pub called the Old Eengine house in bull st in the 3 directories I have looked at. However, McKenna Central Birmingham Pubs states that there was an Old engine (earlier called Engine Inn) at 49 Dale end. This is connfirmed by directories, Mckenna also states that it was shown in a print with john richards as landlord (1861-66), and a sign of a wheel (probably a pump) with underneath inscribed "I hope my engine will not fail, to draw my firends good beer and ale". It was reputably built with the stones from the demolished priory in Bull St (maybe that's where Bull st came from) which was demolished around 1540. It apparently underwent a lot of alterations around 1881 under Thomas Stevens, and didn't close till 1917. With Stevens as landlord it became a noted army recruiting house (Is that when they sent in people to get young men drunk & then signed them up when they didn't know what they were doing?). Maybe the alterations were so great that it looked like a new pub.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Mike, sounds like the place. So it would be round the corner, left at the bottom of Bull Street. Wondered why I couldn't find any info. Interesting and colourful background info too. Thanks. Viv.