• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Street Quaker Burial Ground

My faith in folk has been restored this morning after getting a great letter and the info I wanted below is part of the letter and I have removed the name of sender
My elusive Bad is Badgeley so now have to find that
Dear …
I was sent a copy of your email in case I could shed any more light on
your enquiry.
Because of various changes to buildings on the quaker held land it is
very difficult to be sure where anyone was buried, and as you were told
any remains disinterred would have been buried at Lodge Hill cemetery in
the quaker area. The headstones that were removed to Selly Oak were
those that had illegible markings or no discernible inscription.
As I was at Bull Street Quaker Meeting House yesterday for an evening
meeting, I took the opportunity to spend 5 minutes beforehand looking
in our records.
In a transcribed list of burials (made around 1837 when all the records
were passed to Kew), Nicholas Juxon is recorded as having died 26th 9th
month 1798 aged 56, button maker, buried 28/9/1798 at Bull Street.
You may have known all that.
Also recorded was his wife's death Elizabeth on 29/11/1821 aged 68
buried 5/12/1821 at Bull Street.
And sadly lots of children:
Elizabeth 10/10/1785 2 weeks d. Nicholas & Elizabeth buried 12/10/1785
Bull St
William 8/7/1788 2 weeks s. ditto
Sarah & Rebecca twins 15/5/1789 7 weeks ditto buried 18/5/1789
Sarah 30/4/1790 7 weeks

The earliest Juxon listed was Esther died 16/2/1671 at Hinckley d. of
Nicholas buried Leicester and
Mary 23/9/1675 d. of Nicholas buried Badgeley. (I know there was a
Meeting there.)

The records are meant to cover the old Quarterly Meeting area of
Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Rutland.
I had a even briefer look at the births volume but found no record of
your Nicholas Juxon.
Yours sincerely
XXXXXXX
Keeper of the Records, Central England Quakers

Cromwell, as Pom say's brilliant. What a lovely suprise and such a kind gesture. You have a lot to get to grips with now, I am very pleased for you and a little jealous.:)

Cromwell, so glad you had the information you needed. How sad to read of the deaths of all those babies, it must have been heartbreaking for the parents.

Graham..........that's brilliant.

You deserve the kindness as you help so many on this site and write so many interesting articles.:)

(What goes round comes round..........so they say)

I have been beaten to it as I was going to say that the remains were moved to Lodge Hill cemetary

Thanks all ....as it sure makes it all a lot easy with a bit of help but I am stuck with Badgeley ....I suppose it once was a little village or hamlet now lost in the mists of time....unless our forum sleuths can come up with a location that will fit

Now I can give you another story about Cromwell which is perfectly true...
over 20 years ago while researching the Juxon name the trail led us to Little Compton and the house that Archbishop Juxon once owned and we where invited in and explored it to our hearts content and I have many photo of my wife and her sister standing by the fireplace and the Juxon coat of arms (also carved in a pew in the local church)
We also went to Oxford University where the Archbishop coat of Arms were on the Ceiling and was invited to Lambeth palace to have a chat to the bishop ....
Now the point is Archbishop Juxon was on the scaffold when Charles 1 had his head chopped off and he gave him the last rites Charles gave Juxon his bible which ended up at Chatsworth house and when my wife's sister heard many years later that it was sold and going out of the country she was instrumental in stopping its sale....
Now hanging on my stairs is a Beheading Axe which I made for her sister who died a few years ago so it was returned ( I will put it on the Art of Cromwell )
So as you can see this research has been going on for a while which I have recently picked up .....I have a book full of photo's relating to the above....
It was Old Cromwell who had Charlie executed and my love is the old castles that Cromwell knocked down ...he was the biggest vandal in history

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham

Could the "Keeper of the Records" - shed any light on Badgeley?

I mulled over what Wendy and Charlie said about Baddesley Ensor so I got my old 16th map down and checked it out and guess what
Badgesley Ensor over hundreds of years slowly became Baddesley Ensor, so I reckon and I might be wrong but Badgeley is Badgesley....
and it might sound funny to some but Crommie is being helped by A. Ironside who is a lady Quaker....so will crack it yet

Sorry Graham I didn't edit your post just pressed the wrong button to repley...
Anyway you have now answered the point I was making in my post about the 81 Villages that came up on the Village site.
I was meant to add in to last nights post that it could have been the spelling and handwriting that was confusing the matter, due to a double letter being followed by a sort of squiggley line and not the actual letter in old script, thus making the second d look like a g.

Chris :angel:

Last edited:
Now Miss ...You know what happened to you in Stratford upon Avon when I left you talking to a tree ....
Well I should not have done and I apologize even though its a bit late
but the bit of info you supplied has helped me in such a way its put everything into perspective.............only a Nechells gal could have tied all the loose ends up so thanks Chris

Alternative spellings as Badgeley/ Badgley/ Baddesley.
In the Quaker Meeting Houses of Britain it is listed as

Baddesley Ensor (grid ref SP 272 982).
A new meeting house was built in 1722 close to earlier one and it does
say the burial ground was possibly common to both. (Rebuilt in 1768 and
eventually closed, let to Methodists, and then sold to them in 1922. the
book says it still stands as their school room.)
The original building, formerly 2 adjoining cottages Manor Cottages and
the gardens which became the burial ground, reverted to a dwelling.

So there you have it
Mary is a mystery no more
Solved and dusted and filed

Hello Ornette, I am aware that it is complicated and all depends on the circumstances. Once the medical examiner (Usually two of them) have examined the corpse papers are signed to release the body either to the coroner for autosy or to the relatives if there are any. If you say when you were studying law and i do not dispute that fact that no-one owns the body i think the better words are (responsible for ) we have to abide by the rules which i have just explained or people would do just exactly as they liked and that is something that would not be allowed. Bodies are sacred and should be treated rightly so, even a body that has lain for many many years has to be treated as such when moved. I hope i have made myself a litttle clearer on the subject, in the end everything comes down to circumstances. But the body still has to be released along with the legal paperwork...Cat:)

I thought you would like to hear the final out come from the start of this thread….
Off I went to find the Quaker burial ground at Baddesley which going back to the 1600’s was like looking for a needle in a haystack …boy was I wrong and what a morning I have had and what knowledgeable charming people have I met………
Armed with information on the location of the Methodist Church from a local women who had lived their 40 years I checked it out and took a few snaps ……then had lunch in the local pub and was told by the landlord it was the wrong place as he had lived in the village for ages and his father was born their ………so told of the right location I was then told to go in the post office where I could get a book for £6 on the History of the village going back to 1200’s Low Seams and High Vistas by Albert Fretwell who sadly had died a few years ago…. the Postmistresses’ husband then took me to a neibours house who quite charmingly put her coat on and said “Come on I will take you up to the old Meeting place and burial ground” so off we went
I was introduced to the owner who had bought the place (and burial ground ) and was doing it all up as a restoration project
He showed me the inside and allowed me to take a few snaps and told me all he knew about the place
The First snap is of the old beams inside the old Meeting house
The other two are pics taken standing on the old burial grounds looking back at the Old Meeting house which when he bought it did not have a roof……..
He was thrilled I could give him more information just as I was thrilled with the info I was given ……….so a firm bond was formed and in the summer he has asked me and my wife to go back to swap a few tales on all we know ……………….
So ya see this is what its all about helping folk and today five strangers helped me….did I strike lucky or did I go the extra mile……..
P.S he can go down 2 feet into the burial ground before he has to get permission to go any further which he does not want to do ....The large stone he put to be used as a seat was the original step to the Meeting House ...and he did tell me tales about the local kids who years ago use to dig the graves up in the hope of finding any thing of value not realizing they were Quakers who did not own things of value like silver or gold ....all in all a good day and tied loose ends up
Extra PS
The extra bits I will put on the Blitz thread

What an interesting and fruitful day you've had Cromwell, but you deserve it, you have helped so many people here on the Forum and elsewhere. We look forward to the other tales you might unearth on your next visit.

Graham thats wonderful news. You are lucky too I worked in Baddesley Ensor for about three years. It took a while for me to be accepted but I must admit when I was the people had hearts of gold. I used to do Mrs Fretwell's hair I think Albert was her father in law. The most common name in the village is Sweet. The last time we visited was to Michael's cousins funeral, the family had lived there for many years they moved there from Brum. The inner sanctum is the Social Club in New Street, I went there a couple of times. Also a lot of children were evacuated to the village in the war I was told many tales when I worked there.

Wendy, Maureens says its a good job she did not know you were a hairdresser as she would have paid you in shoes...
Only told you a bit about the village as I have been promised a guided tour of the underground house in Baxterley Park which is in Baddesley the old underground ice houses that belonged to Baxterley Hall and many more hidden gems in the area which has got me all fired up but thats it
or the thread will change.........

Like everyone I pleased you obtained what you set out to get Graham.
P.S
About Stratford! no prob's there Crommie M8 it happens to me often... I've talked to Supermarket shelves, Clothes racks, Rivers and more things and objects over the years. However it's when people let me walk into things without warning me it's a pain, as that hurts and I get bruised.

NEW INFORMATION.

Shortly there will be a single system to all deaths, Not referable to the coroner. So things are abouts to change...Cat:)

Cromwell my weakness is shoes tell Maureen!
I hope you have a great time on your visit. There is a strong connection between Baddesley Ensor, Baxterly and a few people from the village worked for Sir William Dugdale at Merivale Hall.

Pom I must admit when I met you because of your vibrant personality.:) I sometimes forgot about your sight disability and then felt terribly guilty.:(
Sorry to go off thread folkes but I wanted to answer this one.

Back