• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Street Quaker Burial Ground

O

O.C.

I knew that my wife’s relative were buried in a large vault in the Quaker Friends Burial Ground which I had seen over ten years ago or more..
Nicholas Juxon died 1784 age 56
Elizabeth Juxon died 1821 age 68
Mary Juxon died 1897 age 25
Phoebe Juxon (widow) died 1784 born 1714
All Laid in FA 2
So as a long lost relative was over from the U.S. I decided to take a photo of the Vault so he could find it as it’s a small burial ground which was just behind Lewis’s…the entrance is in Bull St next to the Minories
Imagine my shock …horror that when I got there the Quakers had thought to build a conference centre over the burial ground placing the gravestones of the noted citizens of Brum just by the front entrance in a so called garden of remembrance …the Cadbury’s Lloyds, Gibbins, Lovell’s etc moving all their remains to be reinterred at a cemetery that they could no give me the location to and when I enquired where the Tablet had gone for the Juxon’s they gave me a cock and bull story which proved to be untrue as I checked it out …….I wrote to them for answers but as to yet... No Reply

Oh Graham how sad, Col' and I know the feelings you must have had.
We found the number and place in our local cemetery where his Great Grandparents were buried. His G/Granddad died 24/02/1908 and his G/Grandmother 08/09/1937 however where there had once been a headstone (all be it a small one) there is now just a grassed over double plot. On looking around the Cemetery the same had happened to other members of the same family (Some in their time had been prominent Christchurch people).
We were told on inquiry "that unless family members replaced a new headstone and maintained the graves, as the Cemetery is still in use the plots will be reused for new burials. The names of the earlier occupants would then be kept on record for future reference". :(
We are going to replace the one of his Great Grandparents, but could in no way afford to replace all the rest.

The thing here is, unlike most large Cities the world over there is still plenty of empty space in that cemetery that could be used with out using aleady used plots.

Pom :angel:

Sad to say Chris rich or poor.............if the ground is wanted ..its taken
As I was told as there where some very rich folk buried in that small plot
So one person could not alter the march of so called progress...
But what annoys is the fact I was made very welcome given tea while they fetched someone who could answer my questions ....so in Bull St in my opinion was given the correct location for the conference center

Graham this is from Joseph McKenna's book.
The Friends Meeting House in Bull Street was built in 1703 to replace the earlier Newhall Lane House. It was enlarged in 1778 and 1792, and in 1856-7 was totally rebuilt. The remains of 72 graves from the Monmouth Street burial ground, were reinterred following the Great Western Railway Company's purchase of that site. In 1966 during the course of redevelopment in the city centre, a number of graves were excavated, and the remains reinterred in Lodge Hill Cemetery.

My family grave had a headstone removed in the 1950's no other info as you say its very frustrating!

Thanks for that Wendy, and for those that don't know Colmore Row (near Bull St) was once called Bull Lane and before that New Hall Lane then its name was taken from a Welsh Town in 1850 and called Monmouth St and then to confuse further when the Council house was built it was called Colmore Row ...doing away with Monmouth St and Anne St..
But going on what I said at the start of the Thread
I was told that the rest of the Gravestones and memorial tablets had been sent to the Friends Meeting House on the Bristol Rd and I could find them their..............so off I went in my car and scouted the place out (it was all locked up ) but nothing in the grounds and I was told that they were placed by the entrance which is only about a cars width down a long drive............so angry and frustrated I wrote to the Quakers and if I get a reply ...I will post it

The Records I got from the Quaker archives many years ago were superb but one left me stumpt....so perhaps someone with a bit a Tamworth Knowledge can point me in the right direction
Mary daughter of Nickolas Juxon died Tamworth 23rd Sept 1675 and was buried at Bad???? 28th Sept 1675 anyone any ideas to where of what that place was ?

Hi Crom m8 :)I think theres a Baddesley,,, Common,, or Heath ?
over thataways,, somebody over there will know Ok
Cheers JohnY :cool:

Hello John, I went through all my old maps with anything starting with Bad..over Tamworth way but come up with nothing and in those days Tamworth was a big area...........So it looks like I am on the wrong track
Mary was born in Hinckley over Leicester way in 1661 and the whole family.. 8 children moved over Tamworth way.... one of the clan Emmanuel who was born in 1668 married Mary Egginton in Lichfield Cathedral in 1707

JUST A WEE SNIPPET

It is extremely expensive to exume and re-bury a body, especially, when it is buried in a place which is to be disturbed for modernisation.

When you die your body does not belong to your family it belongs to the state, and it is up to them to release the body for buriel...Cat:)

Graham have you read this?
Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of ... - Google Books Result[SIZE=-1]by John Tracy Atkyns, Philip Yorke Hardwicke, William Newnam, Great Britain Court of Chancery - 1781 - Law reports, digests, etc[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Thomas Cecil, and Mary his wife, and Mary Juxon, the wife of Emanuel Juxon, by her next friend, The faid Emanuel Juxon, Mofes Juxon, Thomas ? г) г j ^ Juxon ...[/SIZE]
I Will carry on looking for Mary d 1675 tomorrow Good nite:)
Pom:angel:

The only other clue I have is from his will which I have ...I have transcribed them all (5 in total) but the important info is the name of the Street ....Bothal Street in the Parish of Easmoor F.B.county Tamworth
So am I any nearer ?

P.S. Thanks for that Chris my book has only been 20 years in finishing but I am now getting into it again

Last edited by a moderator:
JUST A WEE SNIPPET

It is extremely expensive to exume and re-bury a body, especially, when it is buried in a place which is to be disturbed for modernisation.

When you die your body does not belong to your family it belongs to the state, and it is up to them to release the body for buriel...Cat:)

Not sure that is true. When I studied law we were told that a corpse belongs to no one and is not property which can be protected by rights, such as the right of ownership.

Graham, before 1837 parts of Tamworth were in Derbyshire. Might be worth looking further away.

Graham the scanned article mentions Bolehall an old part of Tamworth not far from the town centre, it's where local hero Colin Grazier of the anigma code fame came from. Baddesley Ensor is as you know along the A5 out towards Atherstone. I used to work there, it's an old mining village up on a hill The parish church is St Nicholas. I am not sure if this is the place you are looking for.

Graham, is looking for tablets which at times sadly have been used as paths, hardcore and just thrown onto skips like the ones from the chapel at Key Hill. Remains can be removed for re devlopment but the authorities have a duty to try and contact relatives. When they took some of the land and graves from Key Hill cemetery for the metro expasion, there were notices in local papers and family who had left addresses were contacted. The remains were cremated, and a memorial garden built with all the names listed. There is a photo on the Key Hill thread.

Graham: I was going to suggest Baddesley Ensor - Wendy beat me to it!
I think that might be your best bet though.

Thank for that Wendy I had it marked as Bothall but can now see its Bolhall ........most of it is beginning to tie in with what I know and Old Nick had shares in the Rose Copper Company and Joseph Gibbins (mentioned at the start of the thread) and was the secretary and born in Aston and Old Nicks friend and both he and Samuel Lloyd were mentioned in old Nicks will (he left all his shares in the company to Gibbins ) so know you are getting a better picture as Boulton and Watt traded with them

By the way I covered an article at Baddesley Ensor (about the mining disaster)at Baxterley and went all over the church and records etc. drew a blank

old Nick was a brass founder and buttonmaker and lived in Litchfield St and later Weamon Row his kin had shops in Temple Row.... M and A Juxon Trading then A and L in Temple Row in 1835 at 70 Bull St just by the Quaker Burial Ground in 1833 they were making firemarks Charles Juxon was an Agent for Norwich Union Fire Service in Paradise St and Richard Juxon was an Agent for Yorkshire Fire Service in Princip St
Charles Juxons Factory was at 31 Paradise Street when he was dealing in metals and by 1841they moved to 41 Princip St (down the ages a lot of them had the same name so it might confuse you if you start to work dates out as ie.each Charles had a son he named Charles

Ornette i know i am right, even when the body is exumed there is a procedure that has to be carried out and if all things are not done to that certain procedure then it cannot be exumed until they are. Why do you think we have autopsies and a coroner..:).Cat

Well if I die and want my body burned my kin will carry out my wishes the state have no say in the matter you can even send it or your ashes to another country to be buried.........
Years ago things were different all gathered up and thrown in pits and they called that reburial and who knows were the plague pits are in Deritend ? someone might have one in his back garden or in his allotment ...what I think you mean Catkin is recent burials not like the Time Team digs up even though procedures have to be gone through and I know were their is a few skeletons which people own the flesh stripped from the body...........
I had a skull about 30 years ago but sad to say I no longer have it as I would have turned it into something :skull:
Years ago it was also know that folk buried their kin in the garden or grounds in their own private plot...and I can tell you a few instances were bodies have been moved undercover at night .....one is on this forum ...............
But like Wendy said the remains dont bother me as they were crumbling bones or dust.....it is the recorded History that I wanted to find

Catkin, I think we are at cross purposes. I am sure you are right that there has to be an autopsy in certain circumstances - but that does not mean that the coroner, or anyone else, 'owns' the body.

There is an interesting discussion here. The position is complicated!

Back