• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring until 1920s

Thanks for that Vivienne and Mike. I am getting down these pieces of paper/pages now but a lot of what is left does not have much info with it.

index.php
Hi All,
Referring to the photo at 125 and Vivs' comment at 126 I think that this is a penny farthing cycle. I doubt if it belonged to the old chap leaning over the water trough however.. A pity that the back wheel is hidden by the trough .
Old Boy

The drawing of St. Martins (1812) is has all the appearance of the church in 1812. The tower was rebuilt later but in 1873 rebuilding of the main structure commenced giving, more or less, what can be seen today.

That's strange. Have searched for "Bull Ring" in Illustrated London News nd cannot find it at all. the search gives 92 hits. One shows a closr view of St Matins, with the Bull ring in front, but this picture did not turn up. Would have searched for St Martin's , but that gave over 1000 hits

I'm sure it is a reasonable representation, as the book on the St Martins excavations includes it and describes it as st martins in 1812

Revpost #140. Here's a photo of the page on the Getty Images site. It says the image aappeared in the Illustrated London News on 26 March 1887. Don't know why they give January 01 1887 at the start of the paragraph as well. Viv.

image.jpeg

Looking closely it seems that the British Newspaper website is missing a number of issues around then, including that one

A Paul Braddon painting of the Bull Ring - not painted at the time depicted in the painting, but an interesting view showing the position of the Market Cross. Also below is the modern day view. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 31
Found this in the Birmingham Buses thread posted by Lloyd. Can someone date this please ? It’s an early solid tyre bus. Look at those crowds - no way will they’ll all fit inside that bus ! Let’s hope another comes along soon. Viv

F4AB86A3-681E-4608-90D3-B9C50480B0F2.jpeg

The bus looks rather like a Midland Red one of 1919. Most of the people seem to be looking at the bus, suggesting the bus might be there for a specific route avoiding the greater number of waiting passengers as it is parked away from the kerb (not unusual in the Bull Ring). The crowds could well be awaiting buses to take them to Stratford upon Avon maybe it was a Bank Holiday? The curious think is that there seems to be quite a few queues or groups, some to the left others to the right. However, considering Stratford upon Avon I would add that Moor Street GW railway station was nearby and they conveed many to Stratford upon Avon on Bank Holidays: I did the journey by train a few times, usually from Shirley or Wythall (Grimes Hill).
I wondered if it was a special charter bring someone to the city, hence the crowds, but the bus does have a destination board which could rule out that line of thought.
Maybe there will be some other more definite information and not become one of our 'loose ends'. ;)

Just seen this lovely drawing of the Bull Ring by a Thomas Allum.....dated 1845....and I was curious to know if anyone knows anything about the building on the left, before Nelson, with apparently, two figures above the entrance? Is it a pub or what?

Bull Ring   Thomas Allum 1845.jpg

Back