• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring until 1920s

Did an image search through the thread and don't think this pic is in it although possibly the same stalls from a different view in another pic in post#192. The pic below c1890 shows stylish looking Birmingham folk shopping for flowers ...
Bull ring_1890s.jpg

A busy market scene long ago in the Bull Ring but one man looks rather downcast !

Only visible if logged in.
index.php

Last edited:
Just come across this picture that is labelled "Bull Ring 1890" but is it? Doesn't look right to me. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot (104).png
    Screenshot (104).png
    245.1 KB · Views: 68
I have same picture labelled as "Italian women buying onions on the corner of Jamaica Row"

It's the bottom end Smithfield Market, which I believe used to be the cattle market and for a while in the early 1900's was used as an open market area. The photo is taken at the corner of Jamaica Row and Moat Row in 1901 looking up Bromsgrove Street. The Building on the right at that time was the London City & Midland Bank. This photo was taken in 1973. it could possibly be one of Mike's when he was photographing the area in the early 70's.

Attachments

• City Jamaica Row - Bromsgrove St 1973.JPG
    City Jamaica Row - Bromsgrove St 1973.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Mike,

It looked very like one of yours.

Here is another image of the Cattle market taken around the same time as the photo in question, this one looks like it was taken in Moat Lane leading up to Moat Row on the opposite side of the market.

City Smithfield Open Market Moat Row 1901[1].jpg

birmingham wholesale 1901.jpg
I do not know which market the photo refers to so I hope this is the correct thread.

1812.png

I have come across this picture and the only information with is the number 1812. Could that be the date/year of the drawing?? I am assuming it is the Bull Ring.

Yes Stitcher it's the Bull Ring and St Martin's Church depicted in 1812. This drawing is on the Getty Images site and it has (1887) in brackets. Apparently it's a print which appeared in the Illustrated London News in 1887.

Does anyone know if this means it was an old drawing from 1812 or does it mean it was a drawing depicting the 1812 Bull Ring produced retrospectively in 1887 ? Viv.

Back