• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring until 1920s

That's a really good picture Carolina - what is that column to the right - it seems to have the word 'office' on it around the top, was it a post box? I have not seen one like this, if it was.

Shortie
the c1889 map shows by the (rather poor) arrow , where I think the photo was taken. It says Pillar letter box . I admit I;ve never seen a post box like that, but maybe others have

map_c_1889_showing_Nelsons_statue.jpg

Thanks Mike - I thought it would have been a post box because of the word 'office' - the thing that struck me is that it's just a marvellous shape, harking back almost to the classical Greek. I shall keep an eye out for more of these in old photos - pity they had to get rid of them though.

So why did Birmingham not keep it then? Same old story - chuck it out! Very interesting Mike, I am glad I queried this. I did think it would have been earlier than 1856 as it harks back to an earlier age albeit slightly, I think it's magnificent.

Thank you Mike, for this very interesting information. Someone once told me that if you take the time and trouble to look into it, EVERYTHING is interesting, and this certainly proves it. I shall take a look at that museum the next time I go to Bath, and will also look out in Cheltenham for some of the older boxes when I next go. I still think it's a pity that Birmingham got rid of that box in the Bull Ring - they can't ever leave things alone in this city can they?

We are getting on to a whole new subject ,post boxes, the last five years of my
42 with Royal Mail was spent on Box maintenance, Bernard

re-post of pics of the Bull Ring, and it's story from Victor Price's book, and the mention of the tunnel from St Martins neatly mapped by Mikejee. Fascinating tale...

C Green and Son  10  Bull Ring.jpg Pump Tavern  Bull Ring  .jpg

#427 what a marvelous door, and coal oil lamp wall stanchion, I liked the story too makes you wonder how many facenating, other wonders I missed whilst growing up in Birmingham. Thanks for posting Dennis.
paul

Dont think many can have fond memories of Birmingham City Centre since the war.The Luftwaffe started it and the City planners finished it off.Never feel "At Home" anymore. Bernard

A forty year gap between these pics...

I would question the caption on the first picture saying that New Street Station was on the right. I think that centre right is the markets and they appear again on the second picture. I think in both cases the station is off picture to the right.

I would question the caption on the first picture saying that New Street Station was on the right. I think that centre right is the markets and they appear again on the second picture. I think in both cases the station is off picture to the right.

Indeed, what we see in the Bull Ring photo is the markets between Jamaica Row and Moat Lane (?)

https://tuckdb.org/system/images/000/193/849/extra_large/2012_01_15_15_16_57.jpg?1326669542

Here's a more direct low level view of Bull Ring from its Victorian times

So sorry David, I should have said that. I have posted it elsewhere and said then that John Marks (from whose Old Postcards book this is stolen), clearly got his Market Halls and Stations muxed ip...well spotted...so turn your head and look the other way...first one from 1905, followed by two from the 1940s...more subtle changes...

Bull Ring from spire 1905.jpgBull Ring from spire  1940s.jpgBull Ring from above 1948.jpg

These pictures of the Bull Ring are great !
As a nipper I can remember watching the buses sliding sideways on the icy cobbles, down the hill past Oswald Baileys.

With a photo which appears to be have been released only a few days ago by GettyImages, I'm posting a view although similar to others previously, shows the old and 'new' Bull Ring' side-by-side in the early 60's. Or rather then new Bull Ring having sliced High Street in half with the Rotunda in its early construction, yet the pointed roofs of the last of Worcester Street forlornly waiting their fate.

Here's the link rather than a photo in case the posting goes pear-shaped

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...ull-ring-centre-birmingham-news-photo/3329199

Replacement image. image.jpeg Here's a super drawing of the Old Shambles in the Bull Ring. Don't think I've ever seen it on our forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, fantastic David. Great sketch with so much detail. The ring embedded in the ground is marked on there too. That's where they would have tethered the bulls for bull baiting. I presume the meat then went on sale - there are lots of butchers shops along there. Viv.

Fantastic sketch David, and one I haven't seen before. Lovely to see all the detail of the shops and the Ring.

Judy

That sketch is new #444. and I always thought that the Ring was an actual spectator ring...with a fence and people stands...sort of like a Spanish bull fight ring. But no! it was a simple iron ring set in the cobbles. Just in front of the church gates. Fantastic, well done.

Does anyone know what the road would have been just in view (centre) in the distance? Viv.

Back