• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring until 1920s

Carolina thats a lovely advert I have a photo of my grandmother in a hat like that. She always went to Miss Bretnalls in Birmingham.

lkj.jpeg
Not a good photo but it might be of interest to someone.
It is the Flower Market in the Bull Ring in 1901.

Last edited by a moderator:
img560.jpg
This is Moat Row so it'sclose enough to be with the Bull Ring posts, I hope.
A water cress seller trying to keep her stock looking fresh in the open market in Moat Row. 1901.

,lu.jpeg 1926.
This picture of the Bull Ring is from todays newspaper.
I have sorted through a large number of old pictures of Birmingham and its suburbs. It has taken quite awhile but I have never seen this one before.

hi glad to see the bull ring on the thread stitch in the one seing the ice cream van and above the ramp you will see the old pub ;
my mrs and me ran that some years back; before going to the red lion in cheltham the bull ring was another world after dark beleive me
i have got a photo copy from a news paper cutting showing the senior mr jelf of the coffee houses brigade ;alonmg with his sons
and friends out side the place called the banna ovens i had mentionend before now it was taken from the old brumeon paper magerzine ;
in the thirtys i beleive ; all being well i will get my son to put it on this evening i think this was a coffee shop in the old jamica row
it states mr jelf with his sons and afew friends posing out side the property ; astonian;;

That's a really good picture Carolina - what is that column to the right - it seems to have the word 'office' on it around the top, was it a post box? I have not seen one like this, if it was.

Shortie
the c1889 map shows by the (rather poor) arrow , where I think the photo was taken. It says Pillar letter box . I admit I;ve never seen a post box like that, but maybe others have

map_c_1889_showing_Nelsons_statue.jpg

Thanks Mike - I thought it would have been a post box because of the word 'office' - the thing that struck me is that it's just a marvellous shape, harking back almost to the classical Greek. I shall keep an eye out for more of these in old photos - pity they had to get rid of them though.

So why did Birmingham not keep it then? Same old story - chuck it out! Very interesting Mike, I am glad I queried this. I did think it would have been earlier than 1856 as it harks back to an earlier age albeit slightly, I think it's magnificent.

Thank you Mike, for this very interesting information. Someone once told me that if you take the time and trouble to look into it, EVERYTHING is interesting, and this certainly proves it. I shall take a look at that museum the next time I go to Bath, and will also look out in Cheltenham for some of the older boxes when I next go. I still think it's a pity that Birmingham got rid of that box in the Bull Ring - they can't ever leave things alone in this city can they?

We are getting on to a whole new subject ,post boxes, the last five years of my
42 with Royal Mail was spent on Box maintenance, Bernard

re-post of pics of the Bull Ring, and it's story from Victor Price's book, and the mention of the tunnel from St Martins neatly mapped by Mikejee. Fascinating tale...

C Green and Son  10  Bull Ring.jpg Pump Tavern  Bull Ring  .jpg

#427 what a marvelous door, and coal oil lamp wall stanchion, I liked the story too makes you wonder how many facenating, other wonders I missed whilst growing up in Birmingham. Thanks for posting Dennis.
paul

Back