• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring Print

For you folks who knew and loved the old Bull Ring in those great paintings here is a sad reminder of it's demise. Taken in 1961 the remains of the old cobbles and the Market Hall are giving way to the much disliked Ringway and would soon be gone.

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Spicial st 1961 .jpg
    City Bull Ring Spicial st 1961 .jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Its working mike and great to see it you might say its worth waiting for.

Yes, a very telling picture which makes me sad, especially to see the historical shell of the market hall, still standing. I was working for the City Architect's Department shortly before that picture was taken, and I feel quite ashamed to have been involved in that terrible Inner Ring Road exercise which ruined so much of Birmingham's city centre. I think I felt it in my bones already at that time that it was no improvement. Certainly history has proved that it was a disaster for the city.
If only . . . . .
Peter

Don't blame yourself , Peter, as the saying goes " Hindsight is a marvelous thing..."

A quote from an elderly Birmingham lady in the 1940's 'Cos Birmingham isn't the same now, as it was in my day. The soul's gone out of it, with all the changes and people aren't as friendly as they used to be.
So I expect the present younger generation will be saying the same in forty years time.
But I miss my old Brum and way the market used to be before the ringway changes.
Ann

Just had a first look at this Thread and was interested because when Robert Calvert was starting out in 1975 he was doing paintings to order. I jumped at the chance to get him to do a painting of a tram for me. It wasn't a Birmingham tram but he made a great job of it and it's hanging on the wall at the side of me as I type this. Many years later this inspired me to take a few art lessons but when my tutor Knew I wanted to do a Brum tram painting he opted out as he "didn't do" mechanical things in his own paintings. I had a go anyway and this was the result. Not exactly a Calvert but I'm proud of it! Gone a bit off thread cos it's at the Pelham and not the Bull Ring.

unable to replace personal photo

Last edited:
Hi. Mike. Thats brilliant, wish I could paint like that, our kid told me about an incident you had in Jillcot Rd. Sheldon a few years ago, and you had to make an accident form out, he couldnt believe the drawing you did of a D7 I think he said on the form, I came to your house many moons ago and seem to remember a tram mural on your chimney breast, am I right, or dreaming?. While we are on the subject of Sheldon, do you remember the handicapped guy who used to ride a three wheel bike around with a Midland Red drivers cap on, and allways waved at the buses, think his name was Billy. John.

Mike, that is a great painting and you should be very proud of yourself. Thanks for posting it.

Hi Robert, Nice to hear that you are still around. I dont know if you remember me, I bought that print from you, signed, when we worked at The Red in Tamworth. I think it is still in the loft, must go up there to have a look.

Hi. Mike. Thats brilliant, wish I could paint like that, our kid told me about an incident you had in Jillcot Rd. Sheldon a few years ago, and you had to make an accident form out, he couldnt believe the drawing you did of a D7 I think he said on the form, I came to your house many moons ago and seem to remember a tram mural on your chimney breast, am I right, or dreaming?. While we are on the subject of Sheldon, do you remember the handicapped guy who used to ride a three wheel bike around with a Midland Red drivers cap on, and allways waved at the buses, think his name was Billy. John.

Thats right John, I moved in real close to the kerb when an oncoming van came round a parked car and I took out the glass of all the n/s upper deck windows on a tree. The accident report asked for a sketch of the accident so I drew one. It meant a map of the position of the vehicles really but luckily the gaffer saw the funny side of it as it was the first time a report had come in like it (and probably the last).
The tram painting was on the chimney breast many moons ago, have put a small pic to remind you and show other folks an early work by Robert.

Bill on the 3 wheeler used cycle down to Sheldon fom Hermitage Road. Our unofficial inspector with saddlebag full of notebooks which he delighted in reading from to bus crews but refused point blank to allow a real Inspector to see inside. Just as well because he recorded all our arrival and departure times!

A friend of mine bought a print of Snow Hill Station by the same artist yesterday at a car boot sale - does anyone know any more about the artist please? Thank you.

Robert Calvert has done many paintings of Birmingham and beyond he now lives in Tamworth. He has actually posted on the forum in the past.

BIRMINGHAM_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a print of the Bull Ring with St Martins in the background and a tram trundling down the left. I have it hanging over the fireplace in my home now. I love that print. All those Midland Red buses parked in front of the church. It was a great atmosphere, as someone else said the old lady shouting "andy carriers" and the man with "Mail". The open air fish market (roof damaged in an air raid) and getting the Saturday treat of 6d worth of winkles, and with salt and vinegar pulling the winkles out with a pin. There was a sweet shop next to the bus stop coming down the hill which was a favourite to call in. Who remembers Peacocks variety store just up from Woolworths. It was always exciting for a youngster to wander through these shops and see all the hustle and bustle. Back to the prints, I got mine from a shop in the Chamberlain Place area near the Hall of Remembrance. I got married at the Registery Office just there in 1965. By the way, do you remember Bingley Hall just up the road from the Hall of Remembrance.
Regards Ian.

Hi Ian: Great to read your memories of the Bull Ring and to know you have that lovely print of the Bull Ring close by in your home. I remember sweet shop. If you put Bingley Hall in the Forum Search Engine there are lots of threads with people's memories of this special long gone Birmingham icon.

Just a further thought on the Bull Ring. After the trams went and we had the Crossley/Guy/Daimler buses,we would wait for the service 58, and later on the 60 on the downward slope bus stop. As the road was still cobbled it was a little scary when the bus came and the surface was wet how the bus skidded.I bet the driver found it uncomfortable also.
Regards Ian.

Re: Bull Ring print

Can anyone possibly tell me the name of the large Mitchells & Butlers pub/hotel to the rear of the church in the painting?
This hangs on the wall in my local and we have discussed this many times and researched to no avail.
Thanks.

rmleake

I can't see a copy of the painting, but I assume you mean the St Martins Hotel.

Attachments

• City Jamaica Row St Martins PH.JPG
    City Jamaica Row St Martins PH.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 18
Back