• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull ring pics...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Please note. The posts and photos originally on this thread have been relocated to the four new threads below.

The posts remaining on this thread refer to images that have been lost. If you have any of these images, please let the Mods team know. Thank you.

Early Bull Ring - up to 1920s

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/early-bull-ring-up-to-1920s.44232/

Bull Ring 1930s-1950s

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/bull-ring-1930s-1950s.47950/

Bull Ring 1960s-1980s

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/bull-ring-1960s-1980s.31565/

Bull Ring 2003

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/bull-ring-2003.47983/

Please check out these new threads. Viv.

Note the two images on this post have been lost.

View attachment 115889 View attachment 115890

Here are 2 fantastic pictures that show Smithfield market, both feature The Drovers Arms.
The oldest is C 1881 and the newer C1971. Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dennis any idea the years of the photos in the Bull ring? I look for photos in and around the market especially Edgbaston Street where my ancestors according to the 1861 census lived (No 33) and worked as a grocer before moving to Aston with his own shop. Thanks

Sadly no Carolynn. Not accurately anyway. They are from the Whybrow collection and included in David Harvey's 'Birmingham The City Centre Past & Present Book Volume 2'. He speculates from the fashions that the ladies in the white shawls etc would be circa 1890-1900. The young girls shot is 20 years later he muses, again from the fashions. Hope this helps. They are lovely evocative photos of that era and typify our fellow Brummies. The block of buildings behind the young girls includes the Lion & Lamb pub, previously know as the Comet The whole block was destroyed by the Luftwaffe on 19 April 1941. The same raid that killed two next door neighbours in 86 Richmond Rd, Stechford.

Note image lost

This is interesting. From Victor J. Price's "Bull Ring Remembered" Book dated 1989. Wonder why it never caught on? Lyn??

crikey dennis...how interesting ive not read anything like that before....imagine trying to do that today lol...

lyn

This is interesting. From Victor J. Price's "Bull Ring Remembered" Book dated 1989. Wonder why it never caught on? Lyn??

Hmm who would buy a Black Country bird !? Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Note image lost

A Nice winter scene at The Bull Ring. Max

Note image lost

Apologies if this photo has been posted before, but its just too good not to share if it hasn't. Max

Never seen either of them Max. They are fantastic. Must be the best I've seen on this Thread. Can you give me the book it came from please?

totally agree dennis...what a magnificent pic..and i dont use that word too often... think ive got me bearings but can someone please confirm the name of the busy st or rd...

thanks max...

lyn

Never seen either of them Max. They are fantastic. Must be the best I've seen on this Thread. Can you give me the book it came from please?

"Old Birmingham The City Centre" by Eric Armstrong. £ 6.99. ISBN 1840330732. Max

totally agree dennis...what a magnificent pic..and i dont use that word too often... think ive got me bearings but can someone please confirm the name of the busy st or rd...

thanks max...

lyn

I think Lyn it was then called Spiceal St ( on the way down to Woolworths of our day ) Max

Senior moment Max. I've got it hidden away behind the proverbial literary bike sheds...thanks anyway. Still drooling over the clarity and action...

This one should nail it's name lyn, taken I would guess about the same time. Spiceal St.

Over to you Max, it's your privilege my friend. You 'discovered' this lovely book. Your photos are ALWAYS inspiring (well to me they are!). It must be the Bordesley Green factor... we know a good 'un when we see it.

thanks dennis...still i find it hard to imagine the city centre as it was years back....

lyn

Note image lost

View from the new "Forever 21" store... If you click on the first photo, you will see mecca in the background

Note photo lost

Regarding the market photograph of 1937 that Mike Jee stated was the Bull Ring location, front on the left doesn't that look like the soon-to-be Queen (later Queen Mother) the way the gloves and smart handbag are carried in stately fashion? Maybe she's come incognito to put a few bob on an item she can claim during the official visit a few months later?

Note image lost

In picture the lady is standing on the bricked over old manor moat and just behind you can see the low fence that surrounded it...or a newer, then, version with chain, which may have been located in the original position or thereabouts.

Forgot to add...a stunning picture which, with the 1890 OS maps, gives us a photo ground view of the time.

The ramp in the photo was the access to the upper entrance to the Bull Ring Centre. There was nothing up there but The Matador public house & the Witzy Do. Nelsons statue was moved in the 60's from the centre of the bull ring to its new resting place for around 40 years and that was on a raised platform at the other end of the open market where the main attraction was a child's carousel and not the Admiral.

Thanks Phil. The ramp I was thinking of was at the other side of the open air market towards Moor Street Station.

Back