• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring Centre - Potato Machine?

Are their any hot dog and burger vendors still on the corners in any towns or cities. I fear not driven out of business by McDonald's I suspect.
TDL and the rest Burger King Nando's and every other man jack fast food supplier, at least with spuds and hot dogs in those far off days you only stood the risk of getting your fingers burnt from a hot tater or the smell of onions from the hot dogs. Not like today Obesity and other things that fast food can cause .

TDL and the rest Burger King Nando's and every other man jack fast food supplier, at least with spuds and hot dogs in those far off days you only stood the risk of getting your fingers burnt from a hot tater or the smell of onions from the hot dogs. Not like today Obesity and other things that fast food can cause .
Don’t forget the hot chestnuts! Loved the chestnuts but taters and some salt were over the moon!

Obesity do not get me started on that one. College girls going around Halesowen in short skirts thighs like legs of Pork. All that meat with no gravy is not good for anyone. Marion who is now 72 has pins like when she was sixteen.

I asked a woman in Dunn’s in Cork how they got their baked potatoes crisp and evenly baked skins. She came back and had wrote it down. Prick the skin all over. Then rub them in fine sea salt and corn oil. Bake them 35 minutes then turn over and bake another 35 minutes. Use Nadine or Maris Piper potatoes. Gas Mark 7.

The last recipe sounds reasonable. But this thread is specifically about potato machines in Brum, so could we keep to that

I asked a woman in Dunn’s in Cork how they got their baked potatoes crisp and evenly baked skins. She came back and had wrote it down. Prick the skin all over. Then rub them in fine sea salt and corn oil. Bake them 35 minutes then turn over and bake another 35 minutes. Use Nadine or Maris Piper potatoes. Gas Mark 7.
I just love crispy backed potatoes. We do it a little differently but yours sounds better. Oh we will use Idaho potatoes!

They still sell baked potatoes in the city centre, or at least did the last time I was in town (see below @ Cherry St & Lower Temple St). It's no longer a potato machine on wheels as it once was, but more of a small shop that gets towed into and out of the city each day. Progress perhaps, but not quite the same, in my opinion.

1655974624942.png 1655974646381.png 1655974668812.png

Back