• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

Hi Paul, you might like this. Two police officers on the beat in 1960s Bull Ring. Viv.

That's an absolutely brilliant shot! Besides illustrating the era with the clothes and architecture, the two pairs have been cleverly captured in the same gait. I would be proud to be the author of that.

I would put this photo at about 68/69, Viv,as the male constable is wearing the newly introduced, (PYE, REMOTE personal INTERCOM Receiver), hope they worked better than NI. Paul

A sunny Sunday morning in the Bull Ring in the 1960's. Wonder what Nelson was thinking?

Attachments

• P2260078 (2).JPG
    P2260078 (2).JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 64
probably thinking i wish the market would hurry up opening im lonely up here by myself lol...great photo pen

lyn

Thank you Lady Penelope for posting this photo and all the ones on the other threads.
I was in the Bull Ring (Won't call it Bullring!) today, it was so much friendlier years ago!
rosie.

The Downing stall has a very confident look about it. It's making a statement along the lines of 'we're always here'. I'm not sure about this but some time back a member was asking about images of his family stall outside the old Market Hall - near the steps/entrance to the Hall on Worcester Street. Not sure if it's the same family, but think it was the same name. Maybe they moved to this spot when the Market Hall went. Shall have to do a search. Viv.

The Bull Ring in 1960.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ur-old-street-pics.41947/page-107#post-589912

Last edited:
I notice St Martin's Church is growing green moss on the walls again in Ell's second photo. That's how I remember it in the 80s. Always had that green hue.

That space around the church has had many, many changes over time. Below, back in the 1960s a very different scene. The telephone boxes are isolated and standing on their little island and what a long row of bus shelters behind ! Viv.

image.jpeg

Screenshot (109).png
Picture of the Bull Ring from Station Street prior to 2000. Midland Red bus dept. in foreground, Manzoni gardens beyond.

Two views of the Matador pub - just outside the indoor Bull Ring market, near St Martin's above the curly ramp. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

i wonder what phyllis would make of the view now from the rotunda viv...great photo

matador brings back some memories as i used that quite often

lyn

nice pics viv but i thought the bull ring market and the market hall were two seperate places...did not know that the bull ring once had a roof i am confused now lol

lyn

yes i know froth but the captions say the old bull ring market..should really say the market hall so as not to confuse people like me :D guess they are one and the same thing its just me being picky:D

Yes agree Froth. I think the Bull Ring is/was, as far as I know, the whole area. I think it was sometimes referred to as the Bull Ring Markets area. Viv

it is froth but i just thought that 2 of the photos shoulad have been called the market hall which is what it was called..as said just me being picky

I suppose once the Market Hall lost its roof, it could no longer be called a 'Hall'. Without its roof the Market Hall effectively became an open market. Maybe that's why the film labelled the Market Hall shots as the Bull Ring Market. Also it would be replaced by the Bull Ring Market. Viv.

Two more for this thread. The first is 1970s. On the second later photo (1980s?) I can just make out a Rackhams delivery van on the Ringway (above right).Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks!
I know the face isn't in sharp focus but it does look like her and she's wearing the same round glasses as my aunt and the hairstyle, coat and slim waist are very like her!

Back