• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

Vivienne, do you recognise them from these photos?

Attachments

• City Worcester St 1946 .jpg
    City Worcester St 1946 .jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 136
  • City Worcester St 1959.JPG
    City Worcester St 1959.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 141
Thanks Richie and Horsencart. Hadn't clicked that the bricks encased the Nelson statue.Thought it was a very large plinth and Nelson had gone walkies as he seems to have done several times! And love it or hate it, the Bullring looks so forlorn in the photos of its last days. So many of us can relate to the 1960s Bullring in some way or other. This photo shows the girders being put in place for the 150ft bridge that joined the two parts of the Bullring across the inner ring road. Also a picture showing the full span of the bridge. Interesting to see the old Market Hall in the distance in the first one. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372597345.818775.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372597364.639400.jpg

Ditto to all of that but sadly we're well used to such acts of vandalism in this City, you might like to see this corner of the Birmingham it's history it's people exhibition in the museum as they did manage to save a flag from the old Bull Ring of that same design..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birminghammag/8102685330/lightbox/

Flag looks in good nick. Must have been a special occasion flag, not one that was on the flagpole in all weathers!! Thanks Brumgum. Viv.

Great article jennyann, thanks for sharing it. Some great photos in the gallery, especially the older ones.

Dunno about a function room but the pub sticks in my mind as the place I wound up in on my first shopping trip with my, later-to-be, wife. In fact it was the ONLY place I went while she rambled round the shops!

Hi Paul, you might like this. Two police officers on the beat in 1960s Bull Ring. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 133
Hi Paul, you might like this. Two police officers on the beat in 1960s Bull Ring. Viv.

That's an absolutely brilliant shot! Besides illustrating the era with the clothes and architecture, the two pairs have been cleverly captured in the same gait. I would be proud to be the author of that.

I would put this photo at about 68/69, Viv,as the male constable is wearing the newly introduced, (PYE, REMOTE personal INTERCOM Receiver), hope they worked better than NI. Paul

A sunny Sunday morning in the Bull Ring in the 1960's. Wonder what Nelson was thinking?

Attachments

• P2260078 (2).JPG
    P2260078 (2).JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 64
probably thinking i wish the market would hurry up opening im lonely up here by myself lol...great photo pen

lyn

Thank you Lady Penelope for posting this photo and all the ones on the other threads.
I was in the Bull Ring (Won't call it Bullring!) today, it was so much friendlier years ago!
rosie.

The Downing stall has a very confident look about it. It's making a statement along the lines of 'we're always here'. I'm not sure about this but some time back a member was asking about images of his family stall outside the old Market Hall - near the steps/entrance to the Hall on Worcester Street. Not sure if it's the same family, but think it was the same name. Maybe they moved to this spot when the Market Hall went. Shall have to do a search. Viv.

The Bull Ring in 1960.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ur-old-street-pics.41947/page-107#post-589912

Last edited:
I notice St Martin's Church is growing green moss on the walls again in Ell's second photo. That's how I remember it in the 80s. Always had that green hue.

That space around the church has had many, many changes over time. Below, back in the 1960s a very different scene. The telephone boxes are isolated and standing on their little island and what a long row of bus shelters behind ! Viv.

image.jpeg

Back