• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

Nobody has mentioned that the street on the left, where there's a Bedford CA van parked in the 1st photo and is pedestrianised in the later one, is Spiceal Street, so named because spices were sold there many years before.

I guess the most interesting and famous place in Spiceal Street was the Woolworth store, with it many counters and restaurant.
There are many threads here which reference Woolworth stores.

"In everyday language, puffery refers to exaggerated or false praise. In law, puffery is a promotional statement or claim that expresses subjective rather than objective views, which no reasonable person would take literally."

Puffery in 1826...

5652A87E-DD4B-48D7-BD52-C119E3FE4AC6.jpeg

"In everyday language, puffery refers to exaggerated or false praise. In law, puffery is a promotional statement or claim that expresses subjective rather than objective views, which no reasonable person would take literally."
Lloyd

Thank you M'Lud
Pedro
Thank You

I realise now that in my earlier years and even to-day, I have been and still am a bit of a puffer. Its called 'gilding the lily'-one carefull lady owner - a vicars wife, time to reform I think and tell it as it is, but to both of you thanks for the investigation.
Bob

Interesting collection of pictures which includes some of 1960's Bull Ring.
The Rise of the Shopping Centre: 5 Shopping Centres Built by John Laing | Historic England
Hi devonjim. That link does not work, but I found the page you referred to here:

Back