• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring 1960s - 1980s

see also

My dad might well have bought two of your guinea pigs. I had a smooth haired one and a flat (rose) haired one. After them I moved on to rabbits (pet ones!). One was called Mandy - what a trendy 1960s name I’d chosen, albeit controversial. Expect Mandy was from a pet shop as the Market Hall would have been swept away by then. Viv.
When was the Market Hall sept away? I left in November ‘62 and thought it was still there (could be wrong of course).

see also
George Matthews and his son located to the new indoor market

An amusing account (albeit not very pc!) of early morning in the fruit and veg market. The piece certainly creates a picture of market life and the camaraderie of workers and customers. Viv.

Screenshot_20230227_151632_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230227_151618_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

its a great photo viv and i totally agree with your sentiments...a way of life never to be seen again...i actually had an insight into the wholesale market in the very early 80s....my sister used to have a flower stall in the bull ring and i would go with her to buy the flowers to sell and also help out on the stall...lovely people and smashing atmosphere and an early start :rolleyes:

lyn

Not sure if this is posted in the correct place, but I could not find anyplace to open a thread elsewhere. If already shown, I will remove.

This may have been seen by everyone already, or even the relatives are on here, but I came across it only the other day, and thought it was sad in a way, but also caught the feeling of how my generation had that innocence and looking forward to the future come what may, as the girl in the clip was about the same age as myself. I thought of all that time passing and things happening to us, but we all still retain some if not all of that confidence in the future.

Not sure if this is posted in the correct place, but I could not find anyplace to open a thread elsewhere. If already shown, I will remove.

This may have been seen by everyone already, or even the relatives are on here, but I came across it only the other day, and thought it was sad in a way, but also caught the feeling of how my generation had that innocence and looking forward to the future come what may, as the girl in the clip was about the same age as myself. I thought of all that time passing and things happening to us, but we all still retain some if not all of that confidence in the future.

Slightly off topic but in case anyone is interested, the music accompanying the film is Blue Eyes by Don Partridge from 1968.
I recognised the tune straight away and thought it was Don.....? and had to Google to find out! I remember seeing him at Mothers Club - he was a busker and played all the instruments.

I remember as newlywed 20 year old's in 1976 standing in the large crowd in front of the crockery stand in the rag market.
" I'm not asking £25 or even £15" shouts the salesman as he smacks the tea chest with the edge of a plate. We eventually
got our first 35 piece dinner service for £7 ! We still use some parts of it today.
Onwards to the outdoor market where I snapped up a patchwork leather bomber jacket for £15 and my new wife a
pair of wedge type platform sandals for around £4.

The Bull Ring branch of Fine Fare. Banner above says there would be a grand opening of the Bull Ring on Friday 29 May 1964. It was opened by Prince Phillip. Looks like they needed to do a bit more tidying up of Manzoni's garden before then !

Viv.
Screenshot_20231025_210029_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The Bull Ring branch of Fine Fare. Banner abovensays there would be a grand opening of the Bull Ring on Friday 29 May 1964. It was opened by Prince Phillip. Looks like they needed to do a bit more tidying up of Manzoni's garden before then !

Viv.
View attachment 185444
UGH, I guess I am too much or a traditionalist. Certainly they could have done something better than a concrete edifice in a beautiful old city!

Now why would an architect or developer think to put seating in the middle of a very busy roadway looking down on the top of roofs over the market stalls shutting out anything interesting below ? 1964 crazy design. Viv.

Screenshot_20231025_210040_Chrome.jpg

They did it on the Aston Expressway too

"
The planners and architects were also keen to sell their baby with the self-same promise
of goodies. On the new Victoria Road Island, they installed this row of benches so that joe
public could sit and watch the passing Aston Expressway traffic in extreme comfort. As you
can imagine, you had to stand well clear in case you were trampled under the rush of people
eager to try out this new form of entertainment.
Nobody loves a baby as much as its mother"

They did it on the Aston Expressway too

"
The planners and architects were also keen to sell their baby with the self-same promise
of goodies. On the new Victoria Road Island, they installed this row of benches so that joe
public could sit and watch the passing Aston Expressway traffic in extreme comfort. As you
can imagine, you had to stand well clear in case you were trampled under the rush of people
eager to try out this new form of entertainment.
Nobody loves a baby as much as its mother"
And I guess the smelly smoke environment is good for your health!

Back