• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

This DJNorton photo captures the Market Hall, Fish Market and Oswald Bailey's premises, all in one photo. Think the photo is about late 1940s/1950's. Viv.
image.jpeg

This Shoothill image is labelled "Passage of Spiceal Street". Was it meant to read "Passage off Spiceal Street". Did it have a name? Viv.

image.jpeg

These two 1957 ladies look like they'll take some convincing. Bull Ring market trader selling fully fashioned stockings (remember those ?). Gone was the need to paint lines up the back of legs! Viv.

image.jpeg

The men were usually knows as 'spivs' - amongst other things as well I guess. :D

hi alan i think this man is just an ordinary trader...not dressed correctly to be a typical spiv (far from a flashy dresser) and certainly does not look too worried about getting his collar felt and making a run for it:D...wrong date as well..spivs were in full force mainly during ww2 most likely up until the end of rationing (1953) selling their knock off gear...mind you i guess they were still about after rationing ended and are still about even today but now they wear jeans and trainers lol

lyn

We always referred to the street traders as "Barrow Boys", even if they didn't have a barrow but traded out of a suitcase. These days market traders are called "Stall Holders", well here anyway !
Cheers Tim

If this guy didn't have a stall as being registered by the Birmingham council markets dept, he would be classed as a Fly-Pitcher, they were illegal mainly because they paid no rent to the council for the opportunity of selling their goods.

Hi Tim
tHts very true in deed i recall a mr jack Kelly whom was an old time barrow boy in the market of brum
As he got older he started as a street hawker he would push his hand cart around the soth side of brum
He also he concertrated on all the pubs around the city centre and hockley and ladywood and edbaston
He would go from pub to pub selling fresh fruit and veg from his hand cart
then on a sunday morning he would walk around the streets with a wicker basket barrow shouting out annd calling
mornining papers at the crack of dawn sunday mercury , News of world
and people would come out to him and buy there sunday paper off him
when he stopped after afew later he eventualy died he was a nice guy and an very good Hawker
If you want to trade today on the streets you have to go to your local police station and tell them what you will be selling before you
Get a licence when i was young i was going to operate on the kings heath
and i had to go to kings heath police station
Have a nice day best wishes Astonian,,,,

Screenshot (76).png
Unusual view of the Bull Ring. Note the scaffold bottom left of the picture.
(Jean Parker Old photos of Birmingham and the Black Country Face Book)

Last edited:
That's the Bull Ring that I remember and loved. The magical atmosphere and activities, especially for a twelve year old, were a never to forget experience.

Hello Alan, I was born in 1940 so you are 3 years older than me but I agree with you that it was always a great time when mom took us to the bull Ring and various markets, usually on a Saturday morning.

Hello Alan, I was born in 1940 so you are 3 years older than me but I agree with you that it was always a great time when mom took us to the bull Ring and various markets, usually on a Saturday morning.
I'm a 1940 guy too. The Bull Ring was very special to most of us back then. Even the name was always a topic of curiosity by outsiders.
Dave A

Is this a pre WW2 pic? Do I see a roof on the Market Hall? I notice the elegant gas lamps, far more beautiful than the more common basic styles which replaced them. Curiously all the pseudo gas lamps, all with electric lamps in them, that are so often used in private drives and 'heritage' areas today still follow the more basic style.

I always remember the carters trying to keep control of their horse and carts going down this cobbled hill.

Back