• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Buildings at risk

always said that viv but i think its a bit late now for birmingham to realise where they went wrong 45 years ago.. many chances and buildings and suitable land have now gone... but once again well done to the black country living museum...it really is an unique and wonderful place to visit and as we know still continues to save and add their in danger at risk old buildings...never mind we have the back to backs :rolleyes:

lyn

Quick view of the Highgate Park lodge / gatehouse site from the no 50 bus on the Moseley Road. Shame that it was too unsafe to restore after the fire that gutted it.

Yet the nearby Stratford House was restored after a fire! Then again that is more important and much older (400 plus years). Not that the garden near Highgate Middleway has been looked after.

Taken another photo from the 50 of the ex tram depot on the Moseley Road in Balsall Heath. The building to the back is being used by Creation. A wall climbing place with a skate park.

Sad state, Ell, you'd think they could do a bit better than that, but perhaps that is the plan - let it rot and crumble until it has to be pulled down. Next stage I guess will be a mysterious fire.

Maurice

It's only the ex offices at the front that isn't being used. Not sure why this Creation place couldn't have taken over or restored the building at the front?

Successive city councils have no respect for Birmingham's historical buildings, they have no qualms about demolishing literally any old, even Georgian buildings and replacing them with some glass, steel and concrete monstrosity (the only building materials Birmingham seems to have), once they have gone that is it. My old Doctors in Aston Hall Road was a beautiful old Georgian building, down it come, so sad. EricThe Doctors Aston Hall Road.jpg

I remember that old Tram depot, when a boy my mother or Dad would walk me from our house in Raglan Road , up the Balsall Heath main road to the Moseley Road, and we sometimes stopped and watched the trams coming and going, this was a long time ago and the memory was not what it was, but I think there was a Park near by. Paul

Not sure I would call this a park, but saw the Trafalgar Road Play Area near Trafalgar Road in Moseley nearby. Near the corner. The Camp Hill line is behind. You can hear the trains but can't see them!

Thank you Ell, I do remember it had a play area , slide , roundabout, swings, so could be, by the way your photographs are a credit to you as always. Paul

No problem. I was heading round to have a close up look at the former Moseley & Balsall Heath Institute building.

Might create a new thread as can't find a thread about this building.

Very interested in this thread on neglected buildings & the attitude of the council particularly in relation to the Moseley Road tram sheds. This was a clasic example of council prevarication. The office building [which is a listed building] on the Moseley Road frontage came into the hands of a "developer" who promptly ruined the inside, tried to insert an extra floor etc. All without planning permission. In spite of numerous complains the council did NOTHING for over seven years

Two local councillors - one was Martin Mullaney - decided to investigate, entered the "building site" and took photographs to show the damage to this listed building. What did the council do? Well it promptly suspended Martin from the city council for bringing it into "disrepute" by "trespassing". This was in 2005 I think - history in the making. It took until 2012 before the council gave the developer an ultimatum -having ruined the building the developer then sold it on!

Have things got any better? I don't think so.

superdad3 those who know me well on this forum already know that i have long since given up on the powers that be having the slightest interest in our buildings at risk..they never have and never will give a flying fig for them...:mad:

lyn

Since the 1960's Birmingham City council must hold the record for the most uncaring, cavalier, inept appreciation of its civic duty relating, to the preservation and control of its listed buildings. In the early 60's it destroyed some of the most iconic and beautiful Georgian and Victorian , and some cases as old as the middle ages buildings it had in the name of redevelopment. Total idiocy. Paul

Walked down Trafalgar Road from Moseley to the Moseley Road in Balsall Heath again, and got this view from the back of the office range of the former Tram Depot in Balsall Heath. If the School of Art was restored, why not this building? Surely the Creation Climbing Centre could take it over.

absolutely tragic ell....by the looks of it someone needs to save it soon..thanks for the photo...thinking about it and i would have to check my notes i think i had ancestors in trafalgar road many years ago

lyn

Reminds me of earlier posts on this thread [137 etc]. Council indifference caused this. Whats the point of having "listed buildings" if BCC lacks the will to protect them. In even worse condition now - suspect "developer" is letting it rot away in the hope of demolishing & redeveloping site.

Taken another photo from the 50 of the ex tram depot on the Moseley Road in Balsall Heath. The building to the back is being used by Creation. A wall climbing place with a skate park.

Took a few photos of this a few years ago so old, Shame that the ways been left really.

Back for a walk around town today. Popped to the Jewellery Quarter near St Paul's Square.

Got three new photos of 61-64 Ludgate Hill. The building on the right is under scaffolding. Doesn't look to good.

The one of the left (and maybe the right) was Philip Harris and Co, laboratory equipment.

thanks mort i was wondering what the buildings were used for

lyn

Back