• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Buildings at risk

Moseley Road Tram Shed - Office Block:

I'm really pleased to see that the office block may be saved by conversion into apartments.

It reminded me that back in 2005 it was bought by a property "developer" who promptly started to rip the inside apart without planning permission and putting the building at risk. Did the council do anything? No of course not! Our Moseley councillor [Martin Mulllany] did his best to protect it and made a video of what was happening to the tram shed. What happened next? Martin was promptly suspended from the council for bringing it into disrepute! You couldn't make it up, could you? Seven years later the "developer" was still ignoring planning requirements etc etc............................ See account at

This is fairly typical of our council in relation to historic buildings. I don't suppose bankruptcy will help.
As far as I can tell this is still the same developer only with a different set of plans. They've been posting new notices at the front of the block every so often for years now. Generally they seem to have failed the test of the Heritage peoples omewhere in the plans.
I don't understand why the link to the 11 year old newspaper article is there.

I don't understand why the link to the 11 year old newspaper article is there.
Let me clarify. The thread is about Buildings at Risk and my [and other posts] were about the tram shed offices in particular. The history of planning applications date back to at least 2005 and they have always been turned down. Over the last eighteen years or so many illegal alterations have taken place. This is a Grade 2 listed building and BCC had done nothing to protect it. The article quoted is very relevant to the history of the building and a serious attempt by a local councillor to do something about it. It also illustrates the failings of BCC to protect our built heritage.

The present planning application offers hope for the offices in the long term and can be seen on BCC/Planning Applications at 2023/04413/PA for 582 Moseley Road.

Let me clarify. The thread is about Buildings at Risk and my [and other posts] were about the tram shed offices in particular. The history of planning applications date back to at least 2005 and they have always been turned down. Over the last eighteen years or so many illegal alterations have taken place. This is a Grade 2 listed building and BCC had done nothing to protect it. The article quoted is very relevant to the history of the building and a serious attempt by a local councillor to do something about it. It also illustrates the failings of BCC to protect our built heritage.

The present planning application offers hope for the offices in the long term and can be seen on BCC/Planning Applications at 2023/04413/PA for 582 Moseley Road.
The present applications are from the same person that submitted applications in 2021. These were rejected. The new applications are available at
and
As far as I know Martin Mullaney has not been involved since 2012. That is why I questioned using that newspaper article.

update and lots of photos of moseley road tram depot...this is so sad..why on earth is nothing being done to save it

So sad to see this, I do know back in the early 2000's they used down stairs as a skateboard park, not sure how it faired during that time. I worked for a security company and we held keys for the out of hours alarm activations. The whole of this area is looking tired and unkept

To me the article certainly suggests that they are only talking about the offices. Is it only the offices that are listed?

I'm a bit confused. The listing on Historic England has this map. I assume the listing is the blue dot (I couldn't see anythng on the map to tell me).
1697132074976.png
The map on the planning applcation is this
1697132145497.png

I get the impression this article isn't as up to date as it might be. Moseley road baths closed for refurbishment project about a month ago that is supposed to bring more of the place into use. The BMI is supposed to be undergoing a similar refit and has been for a few months now. Does anyone else have information about these buildings?

Last edited:
I get the impression this article isn't as up to date as it mi9ght be. Moseley road baths closed for refurbishment project about a month ago that is supposed to bring more of the place into use. The BMI is supposed to be undergoing a similar refit and has been for a few months now. Does anyone else have information about these buildings?
yes i thought the same wam...this is from their website so things are still looking good

Moseley Road Baths is a beautiful Grade II* listed community run swimming pool in the heart of Balsall Heath, Birmingham. On 2 October 2023 Moseley Road Baths closed for swimming and all other activities, as the next major phase of work to the building starts. This phase is expected to be completed in Spring 2025.

Is there anybody aware of Birmingham buildings that might be on the brink of demolition in the near future? I'm exploring the idea of 3D scanning these structures to create a digital record, ensuring we have at least a lasting 3D virtual representation of our city's rich history. Think iconic places like The Tower Ballroom or any other significant landmarks. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated as preserving our cultural heritage at the very least in the digital realm is of great importance.

Grateful if anyone who is aware of any structures which might be of interest to vurtualfootfalls post #203, to make a note of them on this thread. Many thanks.

Is there anybody aware of Birmingham buildings that might be on the brink of demolition in the near future? I'm exploring the idea of 3D scanning these structures to create a digital record, ensuring we have at least a lasting 3D virtual representation of our city's rich history. Think iconic places like The Tower Ballroom or any other significant landmarks. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated as preserving our cultural heritage at the very least in the digital realm is of great importance.
Tower Ballroom is now demolished. But this is a good idea. Has any thought been given to the longterm archive of the digital scans?

As a starter, Curzon Street Station, the nearby Woodman Pub and the Golden Lion in Cannon Hill Park. I hope Perriot's Folly can be restored as the roof and plaster needs attention. There are many red brick pubs which could be added to this list as they are being increasingly closed. The Old Windmill pub, Dudley Road. Victorian Society tried to get this listed in 2021 and was refused.

Last edited:
That is a VERY good idea!

Back